PeterGibbons

License Plate Capable

I have a couple of the Costco special QC804 systems with 4 QC/Dahua 720P cameras each that I bought and installed a few years ago. They been good systems and I'd happily buy Dahua going forward.

The only downside is that they are unable to capture license plates (day or night) at about 75+ feet. Ideally, I'd like to be able to clearly capture license plates at 150' or more day or night.

I'm looking to add a couple of high resolution IP, POE, PTZ IR or Laser Outdoor cameras with another dedicated DVR. 20X to 40X optical zoom would be nice and, of course, best bang for the buck would be nice.

Does anybody else have a system like this they could recommend?

Thank you in advance.

Im in the same boat, the problem is your IR light will only reach about 75 feet, so a zoom camera does no good for a license plate if the IR light will not activate the reflectivity of the plate to read the image.

Thanks for the reply Blackshield.

I had a hunch IR LEDs themselves might not get me what I wanted. I'm hoping laser might though. Even if I'm limited to 75' at night, I'd still like a system that could clearly capture plates and faces much further during the day.

I'm betting someone has crafted a solution that works pretty well without breaking the bank and I'm hoping they'll share.