Sign in to follow this  
wilreyca

advise on GW Security systems.

Hello,

I am new on this and the forum. I want to install 8 outdoor security cameras and DVR at my house. Since I am new at this, I was looking for reviews at Lorex, Night Owl, Swann but discovered they are lower ended systems so it might not be what I actually want. My budget is in the $600s maybe low $700s. I found one company called GW Security, they have a system around my budget with the following specs:

"High Definition 8 Channel DVR with (8) 1.3MP 960P HD 1600TVL 3.6mm Wide Angle Lens Cameras

Support mobile surveillance by phones with Andriod, Balckberry, WinCE, Symbian, and iPhone ,HDMI & VGA

Support IE browser to remote view and HD 1600TVL high resolution

Uncompressed latency-free analog transmission ensures you see things in realtime, as they happen, without loss or delay. HDCVI enjoys industry leading point-to-point transmissiong distance of 1,640ft (500m) from camera to DVR

Pre-installed 2TB Hard Drive with 1 Year Warranty and Free Life Time Tech Support From U.S.A"

Now I know that good ones are in the thousands but could you tell me if this is a decent system? or any other brands that you might suggest?

HDCVI

That's the descriptor that tells you what you'd be getting into.

CVI is one of the stop-gap technologies. It's analog. It's high-def analog, but still analog.

There's a few other of these stop-gap technologies too...TVI, SDI, AHD.

If you have a need for a really long distance (like 1000'+) then one of these may be a consideration.

If you already have a whole bunch of coax cable installed and you're on a budget so you want to reuse a whole lot of coax...then these may be a consideration.

If neither of those two "if's" are the case, then I would not recommend the high-def analog's.

Especially if you're starting a new system, then go with an IP system that uses CAT5e/CAT6 network cabling. Even if you go with a low cost 1.3 or 2.0 megapixel system now, you can easily upgrade to 3 or 4 megapixel (or higher) later.

Thank you for the reply. I only need/want +-100 feet of distance. I just think that is silly that with some systems you cannot read a license plate or details like that.

Any recommendations of brands?

Thank you.