Indyharleyguy

Can't access DVR system from Windows 7 but can from Vista

Hi All,

this is my first time posting a question so I apologize if it's in the wrong group.

We have a old edvs/edvr DVR system at a 192 IP scheme. I can access it via my old Vista laptop on IE but can not access it on my Windows 7 Pro laptop. On my new laptop using IE when I go to 192.168.2.X IP I get a User Account Control message that says Do you want to allow the following program from an unknown publisher to make changes to this computer. I say yes but nothing happens. It saying the program location is my DVR IP address/edvr.cab I don't get the DVR login screen. I've tried to search for a edvr.cab but haven't found anything I've trusted to download. I've allowed Pop Up's and set my security levels to their lowest and added it to my trusted sites but still won't get to the Login Screen. I've also in Internet Options>Advanced set Allow Software to run or install even if the signature is invalid. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Check Java security. Newer versions often lock down the system to the point that they won't access CCTV IP devices. Pretty common with Windows 7. I have a RAID system that I can only access by remoting into a Windows 2008 server because my desktop client's newer Java version blocks the device's Java program. Sometimes, you can add an IP Address exception to the Java Control Panel security tab but other times, you're screwed if you can't obtain a newer Java applet for the device.

Control Panel - Java (32 Bit) - Security Tab - Exception Site List.

you could also try running internet explorer in compatability mode or using ie tools and select emulate an older version of internet explorer eg ie10,or 9 or 8.

Thanks. I've added my DVR IP address there also and still didn't work.
Oh, well. It still could be Java. We had the same problem and the only workaround was to install the Java applet on a file server that is running an older version of Java. Even then, each time we try to run the RAID's program, we get a warning message that says "This application will be blocked in a future Java security update because the JAR file manifest does not contain the permissions attribute." Hence the problem with Windows 7. It has a newer version of Java. Our file server is running 1.7.0_45 and 1.6.0_20. Our Windows 7 computers are running 1.8.0_25. Obviously, you would need to be running an older version of Java - at least 1.7.0_45 or earlier.

Thankfully, our domain is closed to the outside world so Java can't auto-update or we would be unable to access our RAIDs except for the "traditional" way - via serial port.

you could also check the security tab in the java consul setup and add address as an exception -effectively a trusted site,

type java in the windows search bar- then select configure java- go to security tab.

maybe worth a go.

in the past I've had to do this to get active x controls working along with setting ie explorer to custom and add as a trusted site- basically jumping through hoops in the name of security- so secure it wont let me run a known good application- frustrating.

good luck.