Chuck_DSG

Has anyone ever used Opticom

I have recently purchased products from Opticom. www.opticomtech.com Has anyone eveer used there cards. I understand that they are the manufacturer. They are based in Vancouver Canada. We are a computer company that is moving into selling CCTV solutions, that run on our own PCs. We have a couple Jobs lined up, a restaurant and convience store. They are local and are friends that are letting us do our first installations with them. Any suggestions or pitfalls you may have I would love to hear. I have already gained lots of knowledge from this forum and look forward to posting my results.

I have recently purchased products from Opticom. www.opticomtech.com Has anyone eveer used there cards. I understand that they are the manufacturer. They are based in Vancouver Canada. We are a computer company that is moving into selling CCTV solutions, that run on our own PCs. We have a couple Jobs lined up, a restaurant and convience store. They are local and are friends that are letting us do our first installations with them. Any suggestions or pitfalls you may have I would love to hear. I have already gained lots of knowledge from this forum and look forward to posting my results.

id look into standa alone systems also, as you may come across clients that want that instead, for stability and no maintenance. Also, quality of cameras make a huge difference, you should investigate certain camera manufturers, and find one that you are happy with, testing makes all the difference. Just dont go with one that someone says is good. ALSO, what the client wants, if they dont want to spend much, then when you sell them a cheap camera, cheap DVR, or PC based DVR, let them know it is not the top of the line, and basically, they get what they pay for. Ive gotten clients recently that only care about saving money, so they are content with cheap $100 cameras and a PCI DVR card but i let them know that is what they are buying.

I would hardly consider PCI cards a cheaper alternative.. some can be rather expensive indeed, to be honest the architecture of your Kalatel Standalone systtem is the same as a PCI card anyhow the only difference is that it does not utilise a Kernell and its OS is embedded.

Standalones lack a lot of features but are generally more stable than some PCI products. To be honest security is exactly like cars, you get what you pay for.

Lets face it, I would rather not put in a cheap security system because you arent providing a quality service and unless the system can provide adequate detail then there is no point.

PC based systems require a lot more maintenance than Standalones but at least they can be upgraded. I sell both, standalones are ACTUALLY cheaper to manufacture than PCI cards and I sell them as cheaper. Geovision is the best of the PCI cards on the market by a long stretch (for value for money that is).

Simple explanation is PCI CARD Stabilty 89% Standalone 99% PCI Card features 100% Standalone 75%.

Hope this helps.

I would hardly consider PCI cards a cheaper alternative.. some can be rather expensive indeed, to be honest the architecture of your Kalatel Standalone systtem is the same as a PCI card anyhow the only difference is that it does not utilise a Kernell and its OS is embedded.

Standalones lack a lot of features but are generally more stable than some PCI products. To be honest security is exactly like cars, you get what you pay for.

Lets face it, I would rather not put in a cheap security system because you arent providing a quality service and unless the system can provide adequate detail then there is no point.

PC based systems require a lot more maintenance than Standalones but at least they can be upgraded. I sell both, standalones are ACTUALLY cheaper to manufacture than PCI cards and I sell them as cheaper. Geovision is the best of the PCI cards on the market by a long stretch (for value for money that is).

Simple explanation is PCI CARD Stabilty 89% Standalone 99% PCI Card features 100% Standalone 75%.

Hope this helps.

Actually they are different technologies, not sure what you mean about architecture. Im not building them just buying, installing, and have not yet had to do any maintenece to them

PCI cards are only as good as the PC system it is installed on. So if you want simplicity and stability, then the stand alone embedded priority system is your choice.

stand alones are more expensive in this part of the world, than the PCI cards.

I think I mentioned that they are less maintenance:

PC based systems require a lot more maintenance than Standalones

I know that your standalonesa re expensive in your kneck of the woods, what Iw as trying to say is that they actually are cheaper to manufacture than a PCI card itself, and as there is no more development of software (because there is none) the price should be cheaper. The sost of th standalone to buy for us is a lot cheaper than the cost of the development of the PCI card.