icu

Newbie help please.

Hooked up an APPRO 3011S to a quad and four Provideo bullets for a friend. The problem is that the vcr output is broken on the quad.

The picture sometimes flutters up and down, causing the motion detection feature to be activated and to start recording. Is this a timing issue caused by the lack of connection from the vcr ouptut to video input? Would it be possible to solder another (female) BNC connector?

Would I be better off treating the quad like a single camera instead of connecting it as a quad (i.e. vcr in and out connected to dvr video in and out) given the current situation.

TIA...

icu

The motion detection feature on the Appro monitors the video feed signal it gets from the quad. The Appro would react the same regardless of the particular bnc output you would use from the quad. You will have to address the fluctuating picture problem instead which could be caused by ground loop problems, fluctuating voltage problems, bad coax connections, or other factors. The quad you have probably has a picture zoom feature and that is why you have a vcr out, vcr in connections. If you aren't going to use the zoom on playback feature then you can just run the quad out picture straight into the DVR, but that will still result in recording whenever the picture fluctuates since the DVR will interpret it as motion. Maybe you can describe your installation in more detail, especially in regards to camera cable runs, length, type of coax, type of power cable and number of power supplies, voltage and amps, etc.

5 ProVideo CVC1700W bullet cameras.

1. Length

2 x Runs are Less than 40 feet.

3 x Runs are Less than 150 feet.

2. Type of Coax.

RCA RG6

Provo BNC twist-on connectors.

3. Type of Power Supplies.

5 x 12 DV transformers (came with cameras)

Ran all of the wires through the same path in the house. Terminated the power in the utility room. Terminated the video by the quad.

Problem only occurs when I have the quad connected to DVR (does this mean that it may be a bad connection from quad to DVR).

Is there anywhere I could download a strip chart for RG6 and RG59 (i.e. to know how exactly how much to strip each wire).

I do not have a voltage meter to determine the proper voltage and amps (could someone suggest a cheap but accurate one).

TIA....

ICU

Most likely you have two problems. First you are using RG6 with aluminum braid which is very poor shielding for CCTV. You have a lot of loss in that cable. Second you are using light duty transformers and pushing the amperage through a long cable run so you probably have low power at the cameras. First thing is to unplug all the cameras from the quad and then plug them in one at a time and see if one of them causes the quad instability. You might find that only one of the cameras is causing the problem. The quad processor is sensitive to bad signals and even one camera problem will cause the instability. Also try plugging a transformer in close to the camera that shows instability and see if that helps to clear up the problem. Chances are there is nothing wrong with the quad or the DVR but in the cable or power. Also your connections may be bad. You have a lot of troubleshooting ahead of you.

Most likely you have two problems. First you are using RG6 with aluminum braid which is very poor shielding for CCTV. You have a lot of loss in that cable.

I have a question:

In what cases is good to use this coaxial RG6 with aluminum braid?

What is made for this kind of cable?

Thanks

You should never use aluminum braid cable for CCTV. It is designed for cable or antenna applications. The aluminum shield offers very little shielding at the frequencies that CCTV operates at. You should use 95% copper braid RG59U with a solid copper core, or at least a copper clad core.

i have noticed alot of installations in Nassau, all old ones with real old cameras, used the braided type, i wouldnt touch them unless they rewire, I guess the electricians didnt know better and used the cheapest they could find!