Sign in to follow this  
traceman84

Recommendations for a flat PoE camera for the front door?

I currently have a bullet camera placed right above the front door and while it works, i don't like how it's just sitting outside. I'd like to place one behind the window which has a shutter behind it. The window only allows for something flat however.

I noticed there was this Zmodo wifi camera, but it's not PoE and would require an unsightly black cable to be ran. http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B014EMVGK2/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3JV3M6BBIVSNO&coliid=I18IQ77UQ9MJS8

Is there something similar to the flat thin Zmodo but PoE?

Flat Cam

There's a bunch of them out now (that seem to fall back to about 3-4 designs/original manufacturers and most of them are 720P). Typically called "wifi" cameras. But some are proprietary and may not connect to your NVR (if you're running one). Searching for wifi camera ONVIF increases compatibility a bunch (though not 100% on advanced functions).

Wifi

We're with our smartphones 24/7, so when they disconnect, we tap and reconnect. With cameras, we're monitoring them very little...many times less than 0.1% of the time. So Wifi turns out to (currently) be a lousy option as the cam is needed to be connected all the time. For casual use, the wifi cams are fun, but they just aren't a reliable tool yet.

Through the window

Nighttime shots through a window can be a problem as the cameras IR's will commonly reflect off the glass and not let the camera see outside very well at all.

Hikvision (mentioned yet again on the forum)

Hik makes a wifi cam too (they call it a cube camera), but it also has an RJ45 jack so you don't have to go wireless. (It's POE too). I think it comes in 1.3MP and 3.0MP.

POE

POE is nice, but the camera itself doesn't have to be POE for you to still make use of the advantage of POE. Use a POE-splitter at the camera to split off the data and power to use the regular power jack on the camera.

278178_1.jpg

280058_1.jpg[/url][/img]

These are 1080p and 2mp so should be pretty good using a standard wide angle lens. I have a selection of lenses though and normally mount them insuide the top of my windows. I just make a cat 6 cable to where i want to go and end it with the poe splitters if needs be as shown in previous posts. They are becoming so cheap you just cant knock them - ebay 26quid search HD Mini IP Camera 2.0MP 1080P Indoor Security CCTV ONVIF2.0 P2P H.264 Wide Angle

Im not affiliated with anyone i just have a few cams and have setup a few. Ive recently bought a 2mp ptz but dont fancy it getting wet lol (its still in the box after i played with it a bit!).

Im currently trying these. I have the old analogue ones and they serve me very well on an 8 ports dvr at 700tvl.

I have 2x 3mp ip cams out back garden (onvif) and run the kit through seperate poe 8 port hubs assign 1x per rear and 1x per front as well as internal house network.