skonos

Peculiar Crazy Problem

Hello all and thank you in advance for patiently reading and replying to this post...

Installing CCTV systems is my profession and I have been doing that since last 5-6 years now..

Recently I installed 16 Channel Hikvision 7216HGI-SH DVR and installed 5 X 3.6mm Dome Indoor Turbo HD, 11 X 3.6mm Bullet Outdoor Turbo HD Cameras

The cabling to any camera from DVR is not more than 90 Meters. I have used MX RT3 cctv cable and the cabling is all through pipes and no cable is exposed anywhere. Also I have used MX connectors.

I have provided power through 4 X DC 12V/10Amp smps...each smps provides power to 4 cameras.

Used WD Purple Surveillance 3TB Hard Disk

and the DVR is attached to a Haier 40" LED TV which is mounted 1 Feet from DVR Unit..

I am detailing all this...coz after installation I noticed that every camera window is showing horizontal line bands..ad at night the picture quality is worse than 600tvl unbranded cameras..

Here are the following steps i did for trouble shooting:

1. Checked the DVR is properly grounded.

2. Checked replacing cameras.

3. Checked replacing power supplies.

4. Checked replacing DVR.

5. Changed connectors on both ends.

6. Checked replacing Hard Disk (I know this does not have to do anything with reception quality but still just in case)

7. Checked the grounding of the Input AC Power socket.

8. Installed an Inverter and a CVT.

9. Checked on different TV.

10. Got a different cable (Polycab 3+1 cctv cable) and tested each camera on the new cable. (in case MX cable was faulty)

Still the reception quality is same..hazy and with horizontal lines.

I got a battery powered DC power supply (which does not need to be connected to AC input)

and when I connect the DVR and camera to this battery powered smps...the picture quality becomes fine ..crystal clear...

So i got the Input AC connections checked...the AC voltage is stable and I am already giving power through a CVT ..and all the power connections in the room (where I have installed the setup) are on Inverter...

Electrician says there is no issue with any of the AC power sockets or grounding...

I have never faced such problem..... The customer is naturally pissed...and I am irritated...

If any body can suggest a solution or any further troubleshooting ...I will be very grateful

you have swapped out every component and the only time the fault lifts is when you are battery powered. That would indicate an earth loop to me and your 4 x 12V 10A smps would be my first suspect. These can develop minor faults and cause major noise problems on the power. My second choice would be induced noise in your mains power from some close source - welders , A/C , HV switchgear etc.

good luck these can be hard to find

Thanks for the reply...

Your point is valid...but i have already tried swapping smps...and even though they can have tiny internal circuit faults..I expect at least one smps to be good enough...

So that leaves me with the mains power...The hard part is the mains power and its cabling and everything related to it is concealed and done by customer...Even though if there is any interference with the mains input power..I don't know how easily I will be able to check it..

And more difficult is to convince customer that it may be a fault in his mains power..I know the first argument the customer is going to make is that everything else ....like fan, computers etc. is running fine..

Anyways thanks you for your reply..

This is indeed a hard one

run a long extension cable to an outlet on a different circuit or better yet in a different building...that will show the customer that its a power problem...

You can also try to use a power conditioner.