Sign in to follow this  
bdog14

Need Advice and Clarification on my system - PC + NAS

I have read a ton of info and threads over the past few weeks and need some Advice from someone who has configured a setup like I am in the middle of doing...

I cannot seem to figure out/ decide on what PC and components I will need.

I have spent a few months slowly purchasing equipment for my system and all I really have left to buy is PC to run my Digital Camera Surveillance System.

I decided not to go the NVR route, but rather build a custom system, and I am not interested in backtracking to the NVR route. That ship has sailed... I also am aware it would have been easier, but honestly, I wanted a challenge and flexibility. So here it is:

- 7 to 9 Hikvision Exir Turret 3MP (eventually 10-12 in 1 year and up to 16 in a few years)

- SilverStone Technologies Teratrend RS 431U (Rackmount 4-bay NAS)

- Buffalo BS-GS2016P poe switch (rackmount)

- Tripp-Lite patch panel (for cable management)

-Blue Iris ( have not purchased yet but I think it fits what my needs)

My major hang up is the PC I am going to use to run this system. Initially I thought I could use my main desktop (i7 930 - 9GB RAM - Windows 7 Pro 64 bit). I have come to the conclusion this would be a horrible idea as it would be too much going on for me to use my desktop as I currently do without loss of speed and problems.

SO.. I need a separate PC to connect and treat it like a server (not exactly though) (I will be using windows 7 pro 64 bit - I have very little knowledge of networking so i'm trying to keep it fairly simple)

I will need the PC to be able to connect to the NAS where I will store the footage, Run Blue IRIS, and connect to Wireless Router. I want to be able to use this PC to configure my cameras and view live footage as well as playback footage.

Finally, I don't have a huge budget but will spend what it takes to set this up correctly.

Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated. I don't want get something under-powered but I also don't want a beast sitting there going to waste. ( I am not opposed to second hand).

Also any comments on my system design I would find useful. Thanks guys...