Sign in to follow this  
LarryJ

Need advise on system setup for home.

I'm looking to install a surveillance system for home but having problem on deciding on what to get. I'm looking for a NVR that has good mobile app because the NVR will be hidden and hardly used and want to be able to control most of the feature with a mobile app. Most important aspect is going to be the mobile app, PC or web browser. I'm trying to figure out if I should get a dedicated NVR or a PC.

I'm looking to spend up to $600 on an NVR or PC and up to $350 per camera. I'm looking for 8 channel setup but going to start with 4 and be able to expand in the future. I have been thinking about purchasing a Lorex NVR and cameras. I have up to $1600 budget to use.

Lorex NVR, below link is for 16 channel but i'm able to order one without the extra switch so it will only be 8 channels

https://www.lorextechnology.com/security-dvr-and-surveillance-dvr/HD-security-NVR---LNR400-series/LNR363W.p

Lorex cameras

https://www.lorextechnology.com/Outdoor-Security-Cameras/HD-IP-Security-Camera-with-Motorized-Varifocal-Lens/prod980063.p

and

https://www.lorextechnology.com/Outdoor-Security-Cameras/Weatherproof-HD-Motorized-Varifocal-Dome-IP-Security-Camera/prod980067.p

I'm looking for cameras with wide angel view with at least 2.8mm, automated varifocal and at least 2.1 MP looking for an NVR that can also be controlled from a PC and web browser. I have tested one of lorex systems and it works well just outdated user interface. I also tested blue iris with hikvision DS-2CD2632F-I (nice picture quality day and night), avert HD40D and HD810 (I was surprised how low the quality was on the picture day and night for a 4MP camera) and revo (REHCB28-1C and REHCD28-1C). I also tested Revo NVR REH8NVR1-2T, I didn't get the chance to use the mobile app and the Hikvision wouldn't work with it. My concerns with the pc is automatic restart and recording on power failure and stability. Looks like Blue iris uses a lot of resources and my processor is at 70% and up and the PC is 4 years old with dedicated graphic card, 16g of ram and 8 core AMD processor.

Any suggestions on a good NVR with good user interface, features and very good mobile app and cameras with at least 2.1mp 2.8mm and night vision.

Any suggestions for a good PC configuration to use and surveillance software with good mobile app.

Keep in mind mobile app is going to be the most important aspect of the system.

Or what do you think of the Lorex system and cameras?

Thank you,

I'm looking to install a surveillance system for home but having problem on deciding on what to get. I'm looking for a NVR that has good mobile app because the NVR will be hidden and hardly used and want to be able to control most of the feature with a mobile app. Most important aspect is going to be the mobile app, PC or web browser. I'm trying to figure out if I should get a dedicated NVR or a PC.

I'm looking to spend up to $600 on an NVR or PC and up to $350 per camera. I'm looking for 8 channel setup but going to start with 4 and be able to expand in the future. I have been thinking about purchasing a Lorex NVR and cameras. I have up to $1600 budget to use.

Lorex NVR, below link is for 16 channel but i'm able to order one without the extra switch so it will only be 8 channels

https://www.lorextechnology.com/security-dvr-and-surveillance-dvr/HD-security-NVR---LNR400-series/LNR363W.p

Lorex cameras

https://www.lorextechnology.com/Outdoor-Security-Cameras/HD-IP-Security-Camera-with-Motorized-Varifocal-Lens/prod980063.p

and

https://www.lorextechnology.com/Outdoor-Security-Cameras/Weatherproof-HD-Motorized-Varifocal-Dome-IP-Security-Camera/prod980067.p

I'm looking for cameras with wide angel view with at least 2.8mm, automated varifocal and at least 2.1 MP looking for an NVR that can also be controlled from a PC and web browser. I have tested one of lorex systems and it works well just outdated user interface. I also tested blue iris with hikvision DS-2CD2632F-I (nice picture quality day and night), avert HD40D and HD810 (I was surprised how low the quality was on the picture day and night for a 4MP camera) and revo (REHCB28-1C and REHCD28-1C). I also tested Revo NVR REH8NVR1-2T, I didn't get the chance to use the mobile app and the Hikvision wouldn't work with it. My concerns with the pc is automatic restart and recording on power failure and stability. Looks like Blue iris uses a lot of resources and my processor is at 70% and up and the PC is 4 years old with dedicated graphic card, 16g of ram and 8 core AMD processor.

Any suggestions on a good NVR with good user interface, features and very good mobile app and cameras with at least 2.1mp 2.8mm and night vision.

Any suggestions for a good PC configuration to use and surveillance software with good mobile app.

Keep in mind mobile app is going to be the most important aspect of the system.

Or what do you think of the Lorex system and cameras?

Thank you,

The lorex systems you are looking at are rebranded Dahua. They are good. IF you need a 2.8mm wide lens then why the motorized varifocal?

Blue iris is fantastic but needs a powerful processor if you are going to have lots of 2-4 megapixel cameras. You can buy a haswell i7-4790 for 500 with full warranty from the dell outlet when they are on sale. Blue iris will be adding hardware gpu decoding soon and that should improve things significantly - we shall see. Its is important to set each camera to record direct to disk otherwise it will re-encode all the video and use lots of cpu. (record tab> file format)

You can easily set blue iris to start when the pc reboots. There is also a free tool to monitor blue iris...If you use a dedicated pc, with a clean install, its super stable. I have many machines running BI with no issues.

Once you use something like BI that offers lots of flexibility its hard to use a standalone NVR. But if all you need is basic recording, then go with an NVR.

There are other packages out there that dont require lots of cpu, but they charge per camera (50-150), exacq, avigilon, milestone.