RichardP

PLease could one reccomend a DVR

I have been using a Geovision 600 DVR for a couple of years, but I am now having issues round the computer. The Geo system works well, but every so often the computer needs maintainence as it does crash, and the takes best part of a day rebuilding it.

I have 4 cams at the moment, one of which is a PTZ running on the pelco protocol, but I would like to add another cam or 2 in the near future.

So requirements are 6 camera unit or 8, PTZ control, network interface (so can use remotely over web) Hard drive not essential, its a residential system and normally notice if something has cahnged outside and use camera to see what happened. I would like it to record on motion detect, (makes it easier on logs) but dont need to keep more than a weeks worth of logs on the unit. I am in the UK.

I dontmind paying for something decent, but I dont want to pay through the nose for something either.

Any ideas??

I would like to move away from PC based now, fed up with having issues with the computer and want to claim some space back in my study, so a standalone job would be my preference first before going back over a PC based system.

I would suggest going with a MACE system

DVR-800HP, it will give you 60 total frames

and provide you with network monitoring, pan tilt control

and motion triggered recording. Very dependable

units if standalone is what you're looking for. I have

seen them in action and have installed several.

Very good.

DVR800HPa.jpg

Being that you are located in the UK you will need to find out what is available on that side of the globe.

First what is the budget? This will determine whether it is a budget or a high end DVR .. Im sure the UK guys can jump in on whats over there, but for high end I would say Baxall, GE (sold under Vista in the UK), Panasonic, Bosche, Dedicated Micros.

Theres going to be a ton of budget DVR systems, like the one posted above (not sure that is available the UK though) but basically they will all be OEM units, so just shop around.

As far as the budget goes, I dont want to go spending loads and loads, but I would be looking to spend from £300 to 700. It really depends on the unit. I dont neccessarily want cutting edge in technology terms, but I do want something that is a solid performer.

Ok .. LOL. cancel out the high end units .. they cost much more than that ..

Youll need a Budget DVR at that cost, something like the AvTech or similar ..

Rory

You could just upgrade the pc if you are happy with geo!

Build it right and it will match most dvr,s for reliability and will have all the bells and whistles.

The words budget, and dvr dont go too well together, imo.........up the budget to £1000 and you will have a lot more peace of mind....spend £400 on a pc and use your existing card.......

You buy cheap...you buy twice

Sure, thanks.

lost a bit of weight though

Good time to go too, temp plumetted on the last day and was forecast for a week to stay the same.

beleive it or not it was warmer in the UK, briefly

Iwill shake that hand .one day........

PS, you should know better than to go off topic

Cool .. yeah im still Ill from when I got back .. anyway talk later,

he might want to also check out Ezcctv who are on this forum, they sell some budget Stand alones .. once the PC is good though, you cant go wrong with the GeoVision .. just have to make sure its set up properly also ..

Rory

OK, so you think that going down the route of upgrading the PC is the way to go. Thats fine, you guys know your suff.

I will want to upgrade the Geo card too though, I only have 4 cam card, and want to run 6 ideally, so 8 cam card would be the one.

At the moment, RF Concepts are doing a special offer on several cards, the GV-1120 8 Cam card. I like the idea of it as I could plug a TV directly in to the card to get a good quality image (assuming I am understanding it right) and could have a little monitor for the system downstairs in the lounge or by front door.

Is the GV-1120 Combo a good card? I know I could use the 650 8 cam card, but the frame rate is poor for 6 cams let alone 8, there is the 800 which the framerate would be ok but the 1120, is acutally cheaper from RF at the moment than the 800.

the 650 isnt a bad framerate actually, thats 60fps. If you are using motion recording it can be real time most of the time also using the Smart Motion feature.

But yeah the 1280 is nice if your location gets alot of traffic.

And you get that analogue output.

Rory

Thanks Rory, I just need to price up what I want in terms of the actual computer upgrades, might go with a 8 cam 650, as thats 285 at the minute on its offer, and the 1120 is 430 on its offer. I do think if spending best part of 300 on one, that the extra performance and features (being the analogue out port and the higher recording resolution) that would be worth the extra bit as I really want sharp quality and would like to have some kind of monitor/tv set up somewhere with the cameras on, even if its the telly in the bedroom so I can switch if I hear something. My darn car alarm goes off once a month, of course at about 3 am, and it would be a reassurance that I can just flick the telly on and see.

Remember even without the DSP, you can also use the Video Card's output to a TV, though not quite as high quality as the DSP, it generally is not bad. Ive used the SVideo output to the SVideo on a CCTV monitor for playback and was very clear, better than the PC Monitor.

Rory

I have tried that in the past, but I like to view the camera using geos 'full screen' setting which as you know works off direct draw, but the tv output never works properly on it.

Its a toss up between the 650 and the 1120.

Probably the 650, based on the money.

Richard

Vicon in the UK have a new Budget-end range of DVRs that come in 4, 8 & 16 way versions. They are available through Norbain & Gardiners.

Richard

Vicon in the UK have a new Budget-end range of DVRs that come in 4, 8 & 16 way versions. They are available through Norbain & Gardiners.

Thanks for the info, but are they any good???