versed

Hard Drive for OS and camera software

I'm trying to make a decision on a hard drive for my camera server. Don't know whether to go with an SSD or spindle HD for the OS and camera software (will use WD Purple for data storage). I certainly don't need the speed of an SSD but it would be quieter, cooler. On the other hand I can get a 1TB spindle drive for about the same price as an 120GB SSD. I could use the remainder of the 1TB for backup of non-camera data.

Your thoughts please?

I'm trying to make a decision on a hard drive for my camera server. Don't know whether to go with an SSD or spindle HD for the OS and camera software (will use WD Purple for data storage). I certainly don't need the speed of an SSD but it would be quieter, cooler. On the other hand I can get a 1TB spindle drive for about the same price as an 120GB SSD. I could use the remainder of the 1TB for backup of non-camera data.

Your thoughts please?

It really depends on what you want, but I'm finding it difficult to buy any more HDDs. Despite the higher cost of SSDs, I like the silence, low power, and high speed.

So my advice is if you don't want to pay for an SSD, buy a HDD. Simple as that. However, SSDs do have a limited number of writes, but I'm finding this to not even be much of a concern.

Your thoughts please?

It really depends on what you want, but I'm finding it difficult to buy any more HDDs. Despite the higher cost of SSDs, I like the silence, low power, and high speed.

So my advice is if you don't want to pay for an SSD, buy a HDD. Simple as that. However, SSDs do have a limited number of writes, but I'm finding this to not even be much of a concern.

thanks for the reply. I'm running a small SSD in my business computer and wouldn't be without it for the reasons you mention. The cost is not that much of an issue, and I would only use an SSD for OS and programs in any computer. Data HD's are so cheap, and even though with the limited number of writes, I imagine the SSD drive will be obsolete before it craters.

I guess I was just looking at the amount of storage I was giving up for the same cost, but at the same time I'm gaining some very good benefits of an SSD.

thanks for the reply. I'm running a small SSD in my business computer and wouldn't be without it for the reasons you mention. The cost is not that much of an issue, and I would only use an SSD for OS and programs in any computer. Data HD's are so cheap, and even though with the limited number of writes, I imagine the SSD drive will be obsolete before it craters.

I guess I was just looking at the amount of storage I was giving up for the same cost, but at the same time I'm gaining some very good benefits of an SSD.

FWIW, I use a 240GB SSD in my PC-based NVR. 3 cameras, 2048x1536 10FPS. 5 GB is for Linux/apps, the rest for motion detect video storage. Your results will vary of course, but in about 5 days I'm at 16% usage so that's roughly 1 month of storage.