sirram

Swann NVR suddenly no longer recording

I'd be grateful for any tips on how to debug an NVR recording issue.

About 9 months ago, I installed a Swann Wi-Fi CCTV system (2 cameras + NVR) - product code: SWNVA-460AH2. The system was working fine until a few days ago when the NVR suddenly stopped detecting/recording motion.

Using SwannView Link installed on a Windows 7 PC, I am still getting a good view of what the cameras are seeing (i.e. they are still communicating with the NVR via WiFi). But, when there is movement, the NVR no longer records anything. It hasn't recorded a single thing from either camera for a week now.

I have tried rebooting the NVR, restoring it to factory settings and setting the "motion detect" mesh to cover the full camera screen (so even swaying bushes in the corner should be detected). But still nothing.

What is the error likely to be? Is this a software error or has the NVR's recording mechanism simply failed? How can I pin down the precise problem?

I'd be grateful for any tips on how to debug an NVR recording issue.

About 9 months ago, I installed a Swann Wi-Fi CCTV system (2 cameras + NVR) - product code: SWNVA-460AH2. The system was working fine until a few days ago when the NVR suddenly stopped detecting/recording motion.

Using SwannView Link installed on a Windows 7 PC, I am still getting a good view of what the cameras are seeing (i.e. they are still communicating with the NVR via WiFi). But, when there is movement, the NVR no longer records anything. It hasn't recorded a single thing from either camera for a week now.

I have tried rebooting the NVR, restoring it to factory settings and setting the "motion detect" mesh to cover the full camera screen (so even swaying bushes in the corner should be detected). But still nothing.

What is the error likely to be? Is this a software error or has the NVR's recording mechanism simply failed? How can I pin down the precise problem?

check the drive

check the drive

How does one do that with a Windows 7 computer? I have determined the IP address of the NVR and can ping it from the CMD line (and it responds). But I'm not clear on how to log into the device itself to check the disk. The SwannView Link software logs into it ok, but I am kept at arms length from the actual disk - so can't run chkdsk for example - or see how much free space it has..

check the drive

How does one do that with a Windows 7 computer? I have determined the IP address of the NVR and can ping it from the CMD line (and it responds). But I'm not clear on how to log into the device itself to check the disk. The SwannView Link software logs into it ok, but I am kept at arms length from the actual disk - so can't run chkdsk for example - or see how much free space it has..

pull it out and connect to pc..or try a known good disk in there.

pull it out and connect to pc..or try a known good disk in there.

Duh! Obvious now you mention it. I will give it a go.

It turned out not to be the disk. The two cameras needed to be individually rebooted. Fifteen feet up a ladder, this is not easy unless one was born with four hands. Using your first two hands, depress the reset button. You need two hands for this because the button is recessed - so one hand has to hold the stalk while the other hand presses something into the gap to press the button in.

While keeping the reset button pressed in, use hands three and four to pull the two halves of the power connector apart. Then, with the reset button still pressed in, reconnect the power. Keep the reset button pressed in for a further 10 seconds. Then release.

Simples!

Alternatively, one falls off the ladder half way through.