Sign in to follow this  
bdog14

How to add dedicated PC for VMS to Home Network

Hey Guys, I am very new at networking so I hope there is a simple answer.

I have multiple IP cameras I have been installing over some time that I will be connecting to my PoE switch soon.

I have a Mac Mini running my Home File sharing server. I have 1 desktop 1 Tv and some other devices which use this Server on my Home Network which uses a NAS to file share.

All other devices such as laptops and pc's are windows 7 pro OS (don't ask. long story)

I am going to run Blue Iris as my VMS on a dedicated windows OS Machine.

What I don't understand is how If I add the dedicated PC for the cameras to the Network, won't it bog down my File Sharing Server since the streams will have to pass through the File Sharing Server to record onto the NAS for the home network?

I am concerned that when I go to view offsite using VPN won't that also have to run through the File Sharing Server attached to my router? Since the File Sharing Server running my home network (mac mini) is only i5 8gb ram it will not handle the video streams through blue iris if I remote access?

I am totally confused on this one...

Any advice on how to add a dedicated PC for VMS to a home network without overloading the main server?

I hope someone has run into a similar issue and can help out....

Hey Guys, I am very new at networking so I hope there is a simple answer.

I have multiple IP cameras I have been installing over some time that I will be connecting to my PoE switch soon.

I have a Mac Mini running my Home File sharing server. I have 1 desktop 1 Tv and some other devices which use this Server on my Home Network which uses a NAS to file share.

All other devices such as laptops and pc's are windows 7 pro OS (don't ask. long story)

I am going to run Blue Iris as my VMS on a dedicated windows OS Machine.

What I don't understand is how If I add the dedicated PC for the cameras to the Network, won't it bog down my File Sharing Server since the streams will have to pass through the File Sharing Server to record onto the NAS for the home network?

I am concerned that when I go to view offsite using VPN won't that also have to run through the File Sharing Server attached to my router? Since the File Sharing Server running my home network (mac mini) is only i5 8gb ram it will not handle the video streams through blue iris if I remote access?

I am totally confused on this one...

Any advice on how to add a dedicated PC for VMS to a home network without overloading the main server?

I hope someone has run into a similar issue and can help out....

Why would the streams have to pass though your server? Record to the blue iris machine..even if you also want to record to nas, there is not reason it has to pass though your server...

If you connect the BI machine to the same poe switch as the cameras, there wont even be any data passing through your router.