fastsvo

Newbie question with EyeMax DVR and remote viewing/RPC

Hi everyone,

I am in Los Angeles and have a PC based EyeMax DVR system (OEM) running 16 cameras at a Mini-Storage unit. It's model DV-9120. I have SBC dynamic DSL (PPPoE) at the site.

Now here is what I want to do:

Currently with the DSL modem directly connected to the DVR box, I can use either the EyeMax client or even the web to view the cameras.....works great. Ok, but I also have two other machines the employees use and would like to give them internet connectivity as well. So, now we are behing a router and this is where the fun begins. I would like to note that I want to have remote control capability of every machine in the network (ie.PCanywhere or Dameware) and every machine (including the DVR from EyeMax is running XP HOME).

I have read the Netgear setup info on this site (very helpful) and have now signed up at dyndns.org

I am running the WGT316v2 router from Netgear (the one everyone hates) and it has the most recent firmware upgrade. Now, I understand the whole theory behind port forwarding and I have been trying to educate myself on routers and such the last couple of weeks. Though I wanted to ask the experts here on how they would go about setting up a similar system with everything that I want it to do?

Here is a list of requirements:

1) Got to be able to access the DVR machine using the client software remotely behind the router (the client uses port 9091, but if I can see it from the web, then does it use port 80 as well?)

2) I have a router and need to get behind it to see the machines and use a remote program like PCAnywhere or Dameware. Sometimes these programs have problems resolving the user name and passwords, so any help here as well would be appreciated.

3) Is VPN an option here? My router allows VPN passthrough but it does not have a VPN option under the router's menu.

Any help and direction would be greatly appreciated here. Thanks in advance.

-Eric

Sounds like everything is port related.

1) Port 80 is for http (Access via Internet Explorer) port 9091 is for the client software. 2 different programs, 2 different ports. To access it from behind the router, specify the private ip (192.168.x.x) rather than the public ip.

2) You will need to configure every computer behind the router with static ip address.

If you need to access multiple computers with the same program (PCAnywhere,) you will need to configure theose programs with different ports on different computers.

For example:

You have computer 1, 2 and 3 and need access to all 3. Give computer 1 192.168.1.10, computer 2 192.168.1.20 and computer 3 192.168.1.30 for the IP addresses.

I'm not sure which ports PCAnywhere uses, but let's assume 5900 (that's what VNC uses.) You can configure PCA on Comp 1 to use 5901, Comp 2 5902 and comp 3 5903.

So:

Computer 1 = 192.168.1.10 = port 5901

Computer 2 = 192.168.1.20 = port 5902

Computer 3 = 192.168.1.30 = port 5903

Now in your router:

You port forward port 5901 to 192.168.1.10

You port forward port 5902 to 192.168.1.20

You port forward port 5903 to 192.168.1.30

Now when you run PCA remotely, it will hit different computers depending on which port you specify for the connection.

3) VPN is an option, but might be too difficult to configure.

Hope all of that makes sense. You can PM me if you need more help. The key is that every computer needs a static ip and unique port numbers.

Thanks for the help. I am going to take another crack at it tomorrow. Now do I have to do anything special in regards to the DNS registration?

Thanks.