peterdewolf

Ethernet switch for performance improvement

OK trawling for options here. Low frame rates, Megapixel cameras dropping to low frame rates and having to dumbdown the resolution to 'up' the framerate. What's the point of buying a megapixel camera if I have to do this to get useable video ?

So I'm wondering if my rouuter is a bottleneck. According to an online calculater, for three 1 megapixel cameras, at full hd, 20 fps I need app 14MB/s. Surely my router can handle this easily. All cameras are wired to the router. My Macpro can access it wirelessly and wired ( makes no difference to performance ) .

it seems I might be better off using an ethernet switch. Didn't know anything about them till today but been doing some research. would that help performance ?

Any LAN-traffic that passes only through the gigabit switches will be at the gigabit capacity.

Assuming you have:

* Router with 10/100 built-in switch

* Gigabit switch (or 2, or 3)

If any end-devices are wired directly to the router, then that LAN traffic will bottleneck at 10/100 speeds.

Of course, each individual device will communicate at it's own given speed, but the gigabit switch wouldn't bog down.

And if you go with 2 (or more switches)...if you plug both switches directly to the router, then when Switch #1 talks to Switch #2, the router would be the 10/100 bottleneck again.

So if you have 2 or more switches, just use the router for the internet connection, and have the switches plugging to each other (with at least one switch plugged into the router for the internet)