Distorted Vision

DVRs that can upload to cloud based backup services?

I was just wondering if there are DVRs on the market that can upload to cloud based backup services eg. Dropbox or Google Drive. The reason I ask is that in my mind's view a burglar would first look for the DVR knowing the property is protected by CCTV and just steal the DVR along with everything else that he could.

I was thinking that for practical reasons it would need to upload files of recording between 30s to 60s. If you imagine the scenario of house burglar entering your home. Knowing that there is CCTV they would locate the DVR first. 30-60s duration files sounds about right to me.

Without cloud based backups - CCTV systems seem flawed to me.

I was thinking that for practical reasons it would need to upload files of recording between 30s to 60s. If you imagine the scenario of house burglar entering your home. Knowing that there is CCTV they would locate the DVR first. 30-60s duration files sounds about right to me.

Without cloud based backups - CCTV systems seem flawed to me.

This function is not easy to find. If you move to ip cameras, you will find the most can upload jpeg still via ftp while others can also do video. Theft of the recorder is rare, that is why you still see tons of footage recorded.

Pumping tons of data over your internet connection is often not feasible. The best solution is to use IP cameras..this will let you hide a second NVR ANYWHERE on your network. You can also get IP cameras with SD card slots as additional backup.

Okay but let me adopt the mind of house burglar. First move into our house would be the lounge. 55" LCD TV and underneath is a Bluray player, PS4 and DVR. Would a burglar not be intelligent enough to steal the Bluray player, PS4 AND DVR? Would he really leave evidence behind??

Maybe I'm being paranoid. I think maybe alternative would be to locate the DVR in the loft out of sight?

Use two DVRs, one as a backup. Or have an NVR record the streams from the DVR. When using IP cameras, some of the cameras might have an SD card inside.

It is really easier, cheaper, and a better solution to have duplicate recordings on site, than to have them cloud based.

Definitely hide the DVR. And better yet, put a dummy one near the TV. They'll grab that and not keep looking for another.