yesfam

Female ethernet plug doesn't "hide" in base

Yes hello, first post.

I picked up a Lorex system at costco & am in the planning stages of the install. Wife doesn't want to see any wires & the house is brick, so I need to drill some holes.

One problem I've encountered is that the female ethernet plug doesn't fit in the base of the bullet cam.

I'd like to drill a small hole in the brick, just large enough for cat5e. I can crimp the connector on the cat5e after it's through the wall, then plug in & mount the camera.

But the mount of the camera doesn't have room for that female ethernet plug. I have the option of drilling a (much) larger hole in the brick but I'd rather not. I could cut the female plug off (I think) and just connect the wires (hopefully color coded) but I assume that would void my warrenty.

Has anyone run up against this & what did you do? Mount box? Different camera?

282252_1.png

you can use use a juction box, but that will require several smaller holes in the brick for the screws, you might as well make a larger hole..

Whatever you do - do not cut off the female socket! I would mount the camera on top of a bigger plastic mounting box, perhaps using the long screws piercing the second box from the original mount holes

Thanks for the feedback, I'll consider the mounting box.

Do other cameras have this same issue? I'm still well within the Costco return window.

It seems like an obvious design flaw.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll consider the mounting box.

Do other cameras have this same issue? I'm still well within the Costco return window.

It seems like an obvious design flaw.

Costco has a lifetime return on ip cameras/nvrs.

This is common in most cameras. Some high end brands have the option a connection inside the camera. You are looking at paying 5x more.

Thanks for the feedback.

The Costco site says one year manufactures warranty though. I called Costco (Canada) and they confirmed one year. I actually thought Costco extended the warranty to two years but they don't.

The US site also says one year manufactures warranty. I did not call US support to confirm.

Thanks for the feedback.

The Costco site says one year manufactures warranty though. I called Costco (Canada) and they confirmed one year. I actually thought Costco extended the warranty to two years but they don't.

The US site also says one year manufactures warranty. I did not call US support to confirm.

Warranty is not the same as returns...you can return ANY item purchased at costco at ANY time, except for specific electronics that are excluded. IP cameras and NVR are not excluded. There is a tread here where I advised another user to take back a system that was a few years old..they accepted it no problem.

Ok, I see. The implication being that you'd have to dismantle your entire system to return it.

How reliable are these systems anyway?

My "always-on" computer needs a new power supply every couple of years for example.

Ok, I see. The implication being that you'd have to dismantle your entire system to return it.

How reliable are these systems anyway?

My "always-on" computer needs a new power supply every couple of years for example.

They are very reliable...yes you would simply have to unscrew the cameras and unplug the nvr to return it.

Power supply failure is rare on pc's. You are either using cheap power supplies or there is a power issue..make sure to use a good surge protector or ups.

I suppose that's true (unscrew cams & disconnect nvr) because I'm not using the supplied wiring. It's a good point, I'll keep the box.

Guilty of the cheap power supply I thought it had something to do with running it in quiet mode (reduced voltage) but maybe not.

I'll have a look at home depot for mounting boxes. My system actually came with 4 bullet cams & 4 domes. The domes are a little better at hiding the wiring, if there's a big enough indent in the mortar between the bricks I might even get away without the mounting box for those.

I suppose that's true (unscrew cams & disconnect nvr) because I'm not using the supplied wiring. It's a good point, I'll keep the box.

Guilty of the cheap power supply I thought it had something to do with running it in quiet mode (reduced voltage) but maybe not.

I'll have a look at home depot for mounting boxes. My system actually came with 4 bullet cams & 4 domes. The domes are a little better at hiding the wiring, if there's a big enough indent in the mortar between the bricks I might even get away without the mounting box for those.

make sure you wrap the connection in coax seal/silicon tape ..google coax seal..

You're saying the coax seal procedure applies to the ethernet connection?

it applies to any connection you want to protect from water..otherwise it will seep in and you will short out your cameras.

A look at home depot tells me any mounting box will look absurd.

I think the choice boils down to

a. drilling a larger hole

b. offsetting the camera base from the brick via larger screws with stainless steel washer between the base & the brick

b. offsetting the camera base from the brick via larger screws with stainless steel washer between the base & the brick

Many cameras are mounted to round junction boxes. They look fine. if you want it neat, make a larger hole...there is not much difference ultimately between a large and small hole. You may also be able to modify a siding mount to suit your needs

https://www.google.com/search?q=oudoor+lamp+mounting&rlz=1C1GGGE___US509US509&oq=oudoor+lamp+mounting+&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.3839j0j4&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#tbm=shop&q=siding+block+&spd=0

I use these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RGAJBE?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s03

and mount the cameras on: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008RGCAUC?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00

All of the wiring fits inside.