soy

How would you guys do it?

I live in a rural area on 3 acres, 600' deep. My home is ~50' from the far end away from the entrance on a private road. My entire property has been fenced with chicken wire to protect my free range chickens. The fence along the private gravel road, shared with 10-12 other homes, has a gate set back 40'. The drive runs straight from the gravel road about 100' before a sharp turn in heavy trees. I'd like to put a camera there at 100' from the road, 60' from the gate, 450' from my home, observing the gate and the road beyond. Cost is a mitigating factor as I'm retired. The property is wooded. I have multiple computer systems running 24/7. The heavily wooded aspect of the property almost precludes solar cells. Of course solar cells on a wagon placed on the power line corridor 100' to the side would be possible. That might be more expensive than a couple of 250' rolls of 12-2 UF Romex run on the surface as an extension cord then a switching supply knocking what gets there to 12VDC.

The problem is a neighbor across the gravel private road. Antisocial, his immediate neighbor moved away over a year ago. I've been here well over 20 years and he's been a problem the whole time (shot two of my dogs). It would not surprise me if his present intent is to have me move away so one of his daughters' family can move in. Any camera would be subject to vandalism. He would react harshly to any camera clearly pointed at his property. I just buried my last dog, he wounded it years ago putting a high velocity hunting arrow through his shoulder and out the haunch but missing the spine (how my earlier dog was killed and dumped right in front of his rural mailbox as if signing his work - we had words not long before that dog was killed). No dog on the property will tempt incursion but I'm not prepared to get another at this point.

I have skills in electronics. Wireless transmission with yagi beam to my home would work. The camera setup must be energy efficient if solar cell powered.

I believe I know why fake cameras are used. Once a camera is installed and operating, its recorded output must be reviewed. That data is only as good as its review. If avoidance of the coverage area is done, then again the recorded data won't help. But, the idea that they could be recorded would have some value.

How would you guys approach this surveillance problem? Thanks.

soy

You could pretty easily run POE over coax at those distances. (something like this: CLICK ME )

As for cameras, it sounds to me like you might be able to get away with some nice outdoor bullets. Maybe something like this: CLICK ME

I would not bother with wireless, it gets to be a pain faster than you think. I would just get some quality direct burial coax and a couple of cheap weatherproof plastic junction boxes to mount the camera and handle/protect the transition from coax to CAT-5.

Total cost for 3 cameras is probably $1200-1500 depending on how much effort you put into burying/ protecting the cable.

Channel Vision is also an alternative you could go with...NVRs, DVRs and IP cameras all with built-in POE switchS. It's affordable and is also on amazon. It's got its own app that you can view your cameras on and you can set up the motion detection alerts if you'd like to be sent to your email. The cameras are 1080p.

Good Luck!