kobewon

Suggestions for Surveillance set up

Hi everyone!

Wanted to hear some suggestions in regards to upgrading our DVR setup for our store. We currently have an 8-channel Prodigy system that is connected to a static IP.

Browsing here, I am impressed with Hikavision 4MP cameras. Our needs is the best quality in detail when zooming in during playback (we sell small gems). Also would like great dynamic range and can withstand bright lighting.

If I purchase Hikavision cameras, what DVR console do I purchase? I'd like 8-channel 2TB and greater. Are cameras interchangeable with other DVR systems?

Thank you!

Hi everyone!

Wanted to hear some suggestions in regards to upgrading our DVR setup for our store. We currently have an 8-channel Prodigy system that is connected to a static IP.

Browsing here, I am impressed with Hikavision 4MP cameras. Our needs is the best quality in detail when zooming in during playback (we sell small gems). Also would like great dynamic range and can withstand bright lighting.

If I purchase Hikavision cameras, what DVR console do I purchase? I'd like 8-channel 2TB and greater. Are cameras interchangeable with other DVR systems?

Thank you!

Hello, in all honesty, you're better off buying OEM Dahua surveillance solutions. It's much better priced (at least where I buy from), more advanced features, and more reliable in the long run. 2 choices: HD-CVI (720p 1.3MP - 1080p 2.4MP) or iP (1.3MP and up, including 4MP). They have WDR and to ensure the light issue, make sure the camera has an OSD(on screen display) menu. If you do IP, you'll need an NVR. For HD-CVI, you'll need a Tribrid HD-CVI DVR which is compatible w/analog, HD-CVI, and IP up to 2MP. An 8CH with 2TB is called a "mini" model. Yes, cameras are interchangeable.

[MOD: post edited]

Hi everyone!

Thank you!

If you buy hikvision cameras then buy a hikvision nvr. Dont mix and match.

Thanks for your suggestion. Budget is not an issue. We need something that can pick up very very small items on a counter during playback in case something happens.

Hello, in all honesty, you're better off buying OEM Dahua surveillance solutions. It's much better priced (at least where I buy from), more advanced features, and more reliable in the long run. 2 choices: HD-CVI (720p 1.3MP - 1080p 2.4MP) or iP (1.3MP and up, including 4MP). They have WDR and to ensure the light issue, make sure the camera has an OSD(on screen display) menu. If you do IP, you'll need an NVR. For HD-CVI, you'll need a Tribrid HD-CVI DVR which is compatible w/analog, HD-CVI, and IP up to 2MP. An 8CH with 2TB is called a "mini" model. Yes, cameras are interchangeable.

Thanks for your suggestion. Budget is not an issue. We need something that can pick up very very small items on a counter during playback in case something happens.

If budget is truly not an issue then consider 4k cameras and/or a bunch of 4mp cameras with 6mm possible 12mm (depending on the layout) lenses so you zoom in closer to the action with a few overview wider angle 4mm cameras.

A system like this comes with vari-focal cameras that where the "zoom" can be adjusted. Its not designed for real time zoom, simply to make installation easier so you dont have to guess as to lens size. The varifocal here is motorized and autofocus.

http://www.costco.com/AvertX-16-Channel-HD-IP-NVR-with-6TB-HDD%2c-10-Autofocus-4MP-Cameras-with-100'-Night-Vision.product.100221880.html

I would suggest that as the main concern is the quality of the recorded image, you should only consider a system from the high end manufacturers such as Bosch, Axis, Avigilon, etc.

The quality and set-up of of the installation is critical and for high risk projects only consider purchasing a system from a professional installation company. Then you can detail exactly what you need to see (in writing), this is known as the operational requirement, and this becomes part of the hand over and commissioning document.

It is unlikely that with DIY or self-installation will get the best out of the system purchased.

I would also suggest you contact your insurance company and the Police for further guidance to ensure that any system meets their requirements as well.

Regards

Ilkie