mono78v

My CCTV (NVR) dream... is it possible?

Hi everyone.

I'm new to this forum and quite new to CCTV. I wonder if anyone can help me on this...

I have a dream (hehe) of what I'd like to set up in my home but not sure if its even possible, I've spent several hours googleing things and learn a lot but still don't know what to spend my money on and if it will do what I want.

Basically I already have 4 WIFI IP cameras that I bought of a friend. 3 Tenvis, 1 Foscam. (2 of the tenvis are 720 HD). I've got them working and can view them on my phone via the TENVIS sight app. I want to set up an NVR somewhere in my house that is hidden (ideally 8 channel) like in cupboard or loft so needs to be small and stand alone. I don't want to use a PC. If one exists that is WIFI that'd be great so I don't need to cable it to router. I also want to run my cameras over WIFI. My idea is it won't have a monitor connected permanently (happy to connect one for set up) but then I'd like to use mobile, tablet, and web browser to view and playback footage. The other must is an App on my android phone and my apple IPAD which I can use to view when I'm away from home. I'd also like to be able to set up an email alert for motion, and if possible alert for camera offline. I know I'm asking a lot here but is it possible.

I have some knowledge of computers/networks, etc. but i'm by no means am I an expert. I understand what an IP address is and can set up port forwarding, etc but thats where my knowledge ends.

So to summaries - Is it possible to buy a small stand alone NVR (8 ch) that will work with both HD and non HD cameras. It must be viewable by both android App and apple App. must be fairly easy to set up.

What should I spend my money on?

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated because I am thoroughly confused and the more I read the more confused I get ..

Thanks.

Chris.

How much are you looking to spend? You will have a hard time finding any standalone nvr that works with you low end cameras.

£200 maybe? How about if I scrap the non hd cameras and just used HD? Would that make my idea more realistic? Thanks for the reply.

£200 maybe? How about if I scrap the non hd cameras and just used HD? Would that make my idea more realistic? Thanks for the reply.

First, the cameras would need to support onvif and even then it does not gaurontee the NVR will be able to utilize the cameras motion detection...Why are you using low end cameras like tenvis and foscam?

Wifi is a terrible idea for cameras that need to be able to stream 24/7. Reconsider your entire setup.

Thanks again for your response .I didn't pay much for the cameras I have so happy to start again. In which case back to the drawing board... How would you do it? What cameras would you buy? I'd like 2 cameras to start with but something I could add more 2. Would I get a nvr and a couple of cameras for £200 ish? What should I buy?

Thanks again for your response .I didn't pay much for the cameras I have so happy to start again. In which case back to the drawing board... How would you do it? What cameras would you buy? I'd like 2 cameras to start with but something I could add more 2. Would I get a nvr and a couple of cameras for £200 ish? What should I buy?

There are tons of threads discussing cameras and nvrs.

Match the cameras to the nvr's

Look at dahua and hikvision. If you buy hikvision, understand that there are world region and china region cameras. Lots of info, you just need to start researching.