maillme

To cut or not to cut (Foscam RJ45 connection)

I'm looking at options to mount my Foscam IP camera outside (2 of them) and i realised that the cable bundle is too large to go through my wall. SO a junction box was recommended, and seems like the best option.

However, it's the same problem - all the junctions boxes available have really small cable inlets (by comparison to the RJ45 connection on the Foscam - I'd think I'd need a cable inlet of around 25mm - which means an absolutely massive box (which i cant see locally in hardware shops but even so, I don't want a complete eye sore.

So, I think I have a few options:

1. Cut the RJ45 on the Foscam (lose warranty I guess) - feed cable through, rewire with an RJ45 and then get an RJ45 coupler/keystone. This option would mean I might as well just feed the cut cable through the wall and do away with the junction box all together

2. Cut a slit / drill a larger hole in the junction box, feed cable or connections through - and do my best to seal it from the elements - but I wont get the threaded screws on the cable this way.

3. Answers on a postcard?

283399_1.jpg

thanks for any help you can provide,

Neil

Hi mailme this is my first post on the CCTV forum after finding myself in exactly the same dilema as yourself. I have just purchased a 8 channel, 4 camera (1080p) Swann system which I plan to install over the next week or so but everything is on hold whilst I attempt to understand how to fit the cable tails from the cameras (RJ45 plug) into a weather proof junction box!

I have been researching suppliers for a compatible junction box which will incorporate the cable tails and RJ45 plug from my cameras with no such luck.....and I am at a complete and utter loss as to why these systems are available but the accessories to incorporate the tails are not.......I am truly confused. As you point out if you cut the plug off and make an alternative connection you invalidate the warranty, and with Swann being one of the major DIY CCTV manufacturers in the world I am finding it difficult to comprehend that no one has thought of the issue relating to the RJ45 tail plugs I describe.

If anyone in the UK has any advice or experience of installing the Swann POE 1080p camera systems I would be most appreciative of any advice or even better still UK stockists of a junction box that can incorporate the RJ45 plug and offers at least a IP55 rating.

Hi justice,

Glad to hear I'm not alone!!

I am still struggling with it. I have a junction box - but they are all so small.... if I get something any bigger it will be of an industrial size!!

I ended up making a saw cut on the side where the hole is on the junction box- not punching out the pre-made hole, but drilling my own (approx 7mm). I have already broken one camera's cable with this effort (trying to squeeze it in).

I really am at a loss, like you - as to why these camera's are manufactured in such a way.

Neil

Hi justice,

Glad to hear I'm not alone!!

I am still struggling with it. I have a junction box - but they are all so small.... if I get something any bigger it will be of an industrial size!!

I ended up making a saw cut on the side where the hole is on the junction box- not punching out the pre-made hole, but drilling my own (approx 7mm). I have already broken one camera's cable with this effort (trying to squeeze it in).

I really am at a loss, like you - as to why these camera's are manufactured in such a way.

Neil

Hi Neil

Thank you for your prompt reply.

I have identified one company that produces a junction box that overcomes the issues we (and many others) are facing - http://www.customjunctionboxes.com/....however as they are in the USA I am unlikely to get them in quick time....and then there is the cost and possible UK customs duties too.

If all fails I may have to consider fixing my cameras to a junction box front with a 20/25mm hole cut to the front to pass the camera tails through to which the camera will then be fixed and should seal over the 20/25mm hole.

My installation plans were to run 4 cat 5 cables from 1st floor residential home office where my DVR is installed and to take the camera cables across the loft space to each corner of my house where I intend to install the cameras. It is my intention to then run approximately 2 metres of 20mm conduit down my perimeter wall from my roof line which should be sufficient to incorporate the Cat5e cable, where I wanted to site my cameras.

With the difficulty of finding RJ45 compatible junction boxes I will no doubt be visiting my local electrical wholesaler in my attempts to conclude a satisfactory installation plan.

I'll keep you updated with any news

Damn, I was in the USA 3 x last year... will be there again in around June time... might consider then - ill let you know.

Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of eaves / lofts etc - I live in Amsterdam where the houses are all concrete with no loft space (even although we have our own house / roof).

I considered mounting on the junction box, but it just doesn't feel (or look) right....

Neil

I considered mounting on the junction box, but it just doesn't feel (or look) right....

I guess this is the best and possibly only option out of those available for concealing RJ45 network leads!

Dave