Sign in to follow this  
Joey Tribbiani

Help in Design

Hi every body,

please, i need your help in new cctv design in my work. i have to design a cctv for a fence about 500 meter. They want to RECOGNIZE people all over the fence. I am confused between analogue or IP camera, Lenses size, number of cameras to cover this area (with their condition to recognize people not just detect them).

so, i appreciate any help from you guys.

Thank you

Two quick YouTube vids to see a comparison:

Set your YouTube settings (gear icon in lower right) to the max resolution and make full screen on your PC or device

I'm not affiliated with either video

To get detail (and recognize a person) it means:

* getting the camera close to them

* optics/lens to zoom in

* higher resolution

* combination of the above

Ye olde-timey analog from the 1930's won't cut it.

The "high-def-analog" systems will give you a pretty nice image up to about 2 megapixel (similar to Blu-Ray players).

IP systems will give you 3 megapixel...4 megapixel...5...8...and on up. The value-price sweet spot in 2016 is about the 3-4 megapixel range. For example, it's probably cheaper to field a few 4MP cams in a location than a single 12MP cam.

Another issue for 500M of fence line is the question of running long cable lines. IP cameras are good for about 100M of cable before they need a boost (using different methods...a powered POE switch within 100M of the cam is ideal...things such as in-line "POE-extenders" are possible, but I've had mixed experiences with POE-extenders).

Some of the high-def-analog technologies, such as TVI, can handle a long cable run like 500M. It does bring the video down to 2MP, but it means running more cams along the line. On the plus side, TVI is lesser money.