Sign in to follow this  
Tom28pl

Looking for Software: RTSP with motion detect

Hi

I need an advice, I already tested many NVR software, but I couldn't find perfect one.

Currently I have 5 IP cameras (1.3 MP and 2 MP) and I'm using:

1) Linux with my simple scripts to download RTSP streams with VLC (cvlc) - this is working perfect

2) Windows (remotely) with installed iSPY which is doing motion detect

If I see that something interesting was detected, I can download full (1.3 or 2.0 MP) movie and check details.

What is very nice with iSPY is that on the bottom I have snapshots from the movie which were recorded by motion detect and it is sending pictures on FTP.

The problem is that iSPY can't record simultaneously from RTS. (or can record only every 1 second)

iSPY is using less than 10% or CPU in my configuration.

Current option works fine but I need 2 computers, or maybe put iSPY on Linux VM, but I will need better PC for this and this is something what I would like to avoid.

so summary, Im looking for:

1) simultaneously RTSP record

2) motion detect (it will be perfect to detect from the same stream because my 2MP cameras has 2nd stream with only 800x600)

3) shows movies/screenshots when motion was detected

4) possible to upload screenshots to FTP when motion was detected

5) [optional] remote client/web client

6) can work on Windows or Linux,

thanks in advance.

Zoneminder 1.28.1

https://www.zoneminder.com/

Free $$$ (although donations are greatly appreciated) and open source

1) simultaneously RTSP record - YES

2) motion detect (it will be perfect to detect from the same stream because my 2MP cameras has 2nd stream with only 800x600) - YES (linked monitors)

3) shows movies/screenshots when motion was detected - NOT SURE I UNDERSTAND

4) possible to upload screenshots to FTP when motion was detected - YES

5) [optional] remote client/web client - YES

6) can work on Windows or Linux, - YES, linux server, web client on any platform, many mobile clients.

Update:

ZoneMinder 1.29.0 is release along with it's API.

Combine the zmNinja interface (requires the API) and you've got one smart looking package.

ZoneMinder recently went through a face lift. New web site, updated version of ZM itself, etc. Looks like the team is doing a great job.

I installed ZoneMinder on a spare system at home and it's been working great. Tonight I plan to move it to my main server, which is otherwise just a file server to host our main files/backups/etc.

There's a few nuances with ZoneMinder that I had to tweak. I think they were 1) Check in options to enable ffmpeg as my cameras had issues with direct RTSP, 2) put in the path to the ffmpeg executable in the options menu where prompted, which I think was /usr/bin/avconv, or something similar, 3) added sleep 15 to the startup script to enable auto start of ZoneMinder on a fresh boot. I forget where I found this, just some blog post that I dug up on Google.

It's very nice to see this project doing a good job. Excellent team. Open source. I can use whatever hardware I want. I can tweak it however I want. No proprietary mysteries. (Just my 2 cents)

Just to follow up, a new (to me) one I've been tinkering with lately is Bluecherry. I read into the history of Bluecherry a bit. If what I read has been processed in my mind properly, they have been contributors to the main Linux kernel for some time. They're a front runner in Linux compatible capture cards for analog systems. They also have a server solution, which has proved to work quite well in my experience.

The server requires Linux. Ubuntu is their primary target. They also have a client which is open source. This client works on Mac, Linux, and Windows. BSD support is on the radar. Their Linux client targets Ubuntu, however RPM packages for Red Hat/Fedora are available. I was able to use debtap from the Arch AUR and convert the bluecherry-client.deb file to a pkg for easy installation in Arch.

The software is not free. For 50 bucks you get a 4 pack of home licenses to use with the cameras. Licenses are stackable. I purchased a 50 dollar 4 pack and later, when I went from 4 cameras to 6 cameras, purchased a second for 50 dollars. So I have 8 slots; 6 currently in use.

The server software is very light. The interface is very easy to use. The development team has been very responsive in my experience. I am doing full time record with all six cameras, all are 3 megapixel, all 10 FPS, and my low end/low wattage/several generation old i3 is all but asleep.

They support motion detection, which seems to work well. I just personally prefer full time recording so I only tinkered with motion detect for a short time.

Just another idea. I tinkered with the 30 day demo and liked it so much I went all in with it. I was even happier that I could just dump it so easily on my existing Ubuntu Server that I have running in the basement. That server is simply a large backup/centralized file server. I added a 2TB WD Purple and installed Bluecherry. I was up in minimal time.

There is no mobile app available for Bluecherry, though if you look through their docs, you'll see instructions for setting up mobile view with IP Cam Viewer. I had a better experience with TinyCam Pro and use that. I wrote up a guide and sent it to developers, which was posted to their docs/wiki page within 2 days of being sent (kudos for being so vigilant, Bluecherry team!)

Anyway, just another idea. I'm a fan of it.

Hi

I need an advice, I already tested many NVR software, but I couldn't find perfect one.

Currently I have 5 IP cameras (1.3 MP and 2 MP) and I'm using:

1) Linux with my simple scripts to download RTSP streams with VLC (cvlc) - this is working perfect

2) Windows (remotely) with installed iSPY which is doing motion detect

If I see that something interesting was detected, I can download full (1.3 or 2.0 MP) movie and check details.

What is very nice with iSPY is that on the bottom I have snapshots from the movie which were recorded by motion detect and it is sending pictures on FTP.

The problem is that iSPY can't record simultaneously from RTS. (or can record only every 1 second)

iSPY is using less than 10% or CPU in my configuration.

Current option works fine but I need 2 computers, or maybe put iSPY on Linux VM, but I will need better PC for this and this is something what I would like to avoid.

so summary, Im looking for:

1) simultaneously RTSP record

2) motion detect (it will be perfect to detect from the same stream because my 2MP cameras has 2nd stream with only 800x600)

3) shows movies/screenshots when motion was detected

4) possible to upload screenshots to FTP when motion was detected

5) [optional] remote client/web client

6) can work on Windows or Linux,

thanks in advance.

I'm using Xeoma and it's been great. It's easy on the CPU, available for all common OSs, cheap (8 cameras for $100), simple, and reliable.