I have a customer that in the middle of an installation suddenly changed his mind.

The system that I was setting up is a 9 cam solution with Geo 1240.

The customer suddenly wanted the server in an office 300 m away in a different building and it has to be IP based .

All the cctv cam and cabeling are done at the moment, so I'm thinking of some kind of "BNC to IP converter" to be able to use the allready mounted cams together with an IP software like Milestone.

I know that such solution exist but I have no experience of them.

Anybody that has tried this?

Pros/Cons?

What happens with image quality?

Hi

There are a couple options.

1-Both Acti and Axis have solutions for the IP. (www.Axis.com) (www.Acti.com). Use Video Servers (Encoders) to convert the video to IP. Acti would be my choice as Axis is generally used by DIYers.

2-Optionally can still use the Geo by using the Video Decoders from either of the above manufacturers, at the DVR end. This converts the IP video to analog for the DVR. Or like you said use something like MileStone, though its really expensive. Acti comes with its own free software, though neither of the IP software solutions I have seen can match the DVR software yet.

3-Also, I dont know why they are going IP (is it wireless?), but there is another option of using a multi pair cable and using something like the NVT gear (www.NVT.com) keeping it analog.

Rory

thanks rory! The ACTi stuff seems to to fix the analog to IP problem like I want it.

But how is the image quality after a convertion?

I would imagine that if I convert the streem back to analog again there will be a masive loss in quality?

For your question why they want to go IP: They want to keep all servers in one spot so their IT/security departmet have all stuff in their building.

There is no possibillity to run cables to that building but they have a gigabit Lan between all buildings.

This demand came from their IT dep when all cabeling for the cams where done.

The thing is that I don't mind. The order for the analog system was allready signed so everything extra will also cost extra

maybe I missed something............leave the server and use client or gotomypc into it? seems like a lot of money spnet for not when the technology is there to give your client what he wants. does your client understand that they can do EVERYTHING via?

Jup, that was the way I intended to do it in the first place. There is even

a really good spot to place the Geo PC, but the customer (now) refuses to

have any server placed outside the IT/security dep.

And it seems that the IT dep. has got "IP survaillence" on their mind.

I guess they read the word somewhere

It would be possible to replace the cams with IP cams instead, but that

would give me a lot of work taking the analog system down and from my

experience IP cams need more light.

facts are IP cams are more of a risk than Servers...............just incase they wanted to compare "risks". your client means well but there is a place in this for you to take a stand and tell them like it is. but, it's thier money and if I were you I'd tell them that the change is thier baby. any probs or issues costs them money for your time.

I told them what this means allright, but in the end you got to give the

customer what he wants even if it is (In my opinion) a strange solution.

There might be a change back when I present the pricetag for the

solution

Hi

1 - if they are going to use IP, you want to set up an entirely seperate network for it.

2-Not sure of the quality, they claim it is converted back to the same, but ive never used them. However, it cant be any worse then using an IP camera, which also generally has less low lighting capabilities than an analogue camera as well as other limited features (when compared to a high quality box camera). There is ofcourse going to be the bandwidth issue either way.

3-Dont quote them something you arent happy with. Its not worth it in the long run. If you are providing maintenance/warranty on parts or installation, you want to make sure you can maintain/service it and that it will require very little (if any) service.

How many cameras are there, have they considered Analogue Wireless, so no Network or bandwidth issues.?

Rory

1 - That isn't possible in this case.

2 - Good. You confirmed my guessing. Thanks for that.

3 - Very true. the customer pays the bills so he's always right in the end.

There is 9 cams in a three stories parking garage so wireless is out.

All cabling and cams are in place. I will connect them to a analog to IP

(Like ACTis stuff) and connect thet to the customers gigabit Lan via a ethernet switch in the building.

Feels that this is doable, but it's going to cost.

Those ACTi videoservers wasn't cheep

Yeah they arent cheap .. also there is only a couple distributors for them in the uS .. or did you go direct?

The MileStone software is even less cheap, though you could just use the software provided by Acti, it doesnt compare to the Geo software ..

They also have an SDK if you are a programmer ..

Yeah they arent cheap .. also there is only a couple distributors for them in the uS .. or did you go direct?

The MileStone software is even less cheap, though you could just use the software provided by Acti, it doesnt compare to the Geo software ..

They also have an SDK if you are a programmer ..

There is a very good Swedish supplier that can provide me with Axis and Pelco videoservers that are similar to ACTi.

The same supplier can provide me with Milestone.

Actualy I am a programmer. I've worked with Visual basic, Python and Delphi for several years at a famous Swedish car manufacurer.

But I'm having a hard time to find the time to develop something on my own.

Cool, the Acti would be much better though, requires less bandwith than Axis for faster speeds ...

This is the one we're going to use: Sony SNTV704 together with Milestone sw.

Any comments? Good, bad?

Had a look at Milestone at my supplier today. It looks excelent!

Looks like this mess is going the right direction at last.

The Acti will be faster though as it uses MPEG4-ASP and also will require less bandwidth - 1.5mbps - for real time transmission using a single channel server. Generally you wont find real time from a multi chanel server no matter which one you use, at least the ones that are on the consumer market right now.

Yes its a good choice .. just a little pricey .. but then you can easily add cameras as you go along ..

The Acti will be faster though as it uses MPEG4-ASP and also will require less bandwidth - 1.5mbps - for real time transmission using a single channel server. Generally you wont find real time from a multi chanel server no matter which one you use, at least the ones that are on the consumer market right now.

I'm having a hard time finding an Axis distributor in Sweden. The biggest of my suppliers can not deliver Axis stuff, but the specs on the Sony SNTV 704

looks very similar.

Hopefully this system will be up and running within a week (depending on the customers decision),

and I'll be back with the verdict.

acti .. not axis .. but i understand either way .. im the same really .. i have to order everything from the US and import it in .. its a pita .. so i normally have to just end up getting what they have at the time.

acti .. not axis .. but i understand either way .. im the same really .. i have to order everything from the US and import it in .. its a pita .. so i normally have to just end up getting what they have at the time.

I meant ACTi but wrote Axis.

Axis I can get.