Sign in to follow this  
_xyz

Remote Surveillance System Setup Suggestions

Hello everyone,

My knowledge on this subject is limited, so I'd appreciate some input. Going for a remote surveillance setup and this is what I want:

Outdoor, hidden under cover of woods, it will be monitoring a well lit spot from about 80-120 feet away. Needs to be completely remote and I would love it to be able to monitor continuously for 5 days. Thought about building housing for the camera and dvr from black plastic totes. As for a power source...a deep cycle battery with an adapter. As far as the camera and dvr, I have no clue. Not even sure if a deep cycle battery and the plastic weather-proof boxes are the best either.

Suggestions welcomed and if I've missed anything, lmk. Thanks

Enclosure

I do remote construction sites for cam setups (with lights too). The enclosures are typically those tool "job box" style enclosures that can be locked up and look like they belong on a job site. But pricier than a plastic enclosure.

What's the purpose of the enclosure?

* keeping rain/moisture/dew out of your setup?

* hiding from curious eyes?

* security?

* other concerns?

Once you know those goals, then the enclosure solution becomes more apparent. A good outdoor cam is weatherproof, so then you're just talking...the battery itself? maybe a plastic marine battery enclosure used on boats?

Juice for the Cam

It's going to be math to calculate:

* juice usage by the cams and/or NVR/DVR (an IP cam recording to an SD card might save you some juice usage as it doesn't sound like you need a multi-cam setuip)

* juice usage of the cams if they go to IR (IR takes up more juice...it should be on the cam's spec sheet...if the area is lit..then get a cam without IR or turn off the IR to save juice)

* juice supply capacity from the battery (also, you wouldn't calculate down to 0% for the battery...it depends on the type of battery. Some batts can only take so many trips to 0% before they're toast)

There are many online calculators to figure out the math for battery usage (often on solar or prepper sites).

Replenishing the Batt

Do you cart off the batt every 5 days to go plug in?

Take a generator out to it?

Solar (doable...but yeah...more $$$ and more...complexity)