perebrine

IP Camera help wired & wireless

Hi,

I have 3 IP cameras connected, my son tells me that my computer may have slowed down due to these using bandwith, as they are constantly on (Something like that anyway)

The 3 cameras all have a cables form them connected to my router & I view them wirelessly on my laptop.

I have a spare laptop, is there any way I can connect them to the spare laptop using just the wires & not going through the router.

Kind regards

Johnny Brine

Hi,

I have 3 IP cameras connected, my son tells me that my computer may have slowed down due to these using bandwith, as they are constantly on (Something like that anyway)

The 3 cameras all have a cables form them connected to my router & I view them wirelessly on my laptop.

I have a spare laptop, is there any way I can connect them to the spare laptop using just the wires & not going through the router.

Kind regards

Johnny Brine

Hi Johnny,

Are you recording the cameras on your computer? 3 cameras is not a lot of bandwidth unless your running a very old network. Typically its a 1-5 mbps per camera, so it is not much, but your computer might not be able to render your images fast enough. For your camera question, your will need to connect them to your router or a switch in order for them to communicate with your computer. But you can plug one camera in directly to your laptop as long as the Ethernet cable is a crossover.

Hi,

Kind regards

Johnny Brine

Hi Johnny,

Are you recording the cameras on your computer? 3 cameras is not a lot of bandwidth unless your running a very old network. Typically its a 1-5 mbps per camera, so it is not much, but your computer might not be able to render your images fast enough. For your camera question, your will need to connect them to your router or a switch in order for them to communicate with your computer. But you can plug one camera in directly to your laptop as long as the Ethernet cable is a crossover.

Thank you for the reply, I have the ability to record but I haven't used that yet & I'm not really worried about recording.

The cameras are "Wanscam" fairly cheap but have lasted 2 years now & still work & the picture is of the quality I require. I'm unsure what you mean by a crossover cable?

The other problem I now have is I have just bought a new laptop & it came with Windows 10 which doesn't seem compatible with the cameras, so I'm still using the old laptop to watch them.