Sign in to follow this  
oderus1671

having trouble with nv5000 video extension card...

Hi again all, Im trying to install a video extension card for my nv5000, but when i connect the cameras to it, the video on the extension is severely distorted and rolling. Something else worth noting, the software doesnt seem to "see" the card, as it still only shows 4 cams. I am trying to add a 5th cam. Should I reinstall the software? Also, i noticed that there are 3 or 4 ports on the nv5000 that you attach the cable to. I assumed that it goes on the port closest to the edge of the card. am i thinkin right or have I gone mildly retarded?

With the extension cards there are a few things you must make sure of.

1st- Is the NV5000 card on your top PCI slot.

2nd- Is the extension card directly below the DVR card.

Now, if you’re only connecting 5 cameras they must be plugged into the correct ports in order to work. You can't have just one camera on the extension card or the DVR card, it won’t work.

Try this:

Connect 3 cams to the first three ports on the top DVR card (left to right). Then plug the other 2 in the 1st and 2nd port on the extension card. According to Avermedia you really should only have an even amount of cameras when using more then one DVR card or using extensions. So if you have an extra camera I would definitely connect that to the 3rd port on the extension? Basically the ports being used need to match vertically.

Examples

5 cameras

DVR CARD

0 0 0 x

EXTENSION

0 0 x x

6 cameras

DVR CARD

0 0 0 x

Extension

0 0 0 x

4 cameras

DVR CARD

0 0 x x

EXTENSION

0 0 x x

0=camera plugged in

x=open port

I will try to post picture of how it should look. Let me know if you have anymore questions or if I am not being clear enough. Oh, also if you're using ver. 5.5 you can use your right mouse button to move the cameras on your software all in a row so you dont have blank screens every other window. Just click and drag to new window.

ok, thanks a million. I got it figured out. I uninstalled the software, hooked it up to the 2nd port from the front of the card as per Avermedias support site, on the dvr card, and followed your layout for the cam ports, reinstalled newer version, and now everything is just peachy! you are truely THE MAN for Avermedia stuff. Perhaps you should contact them to sponsor you for some $$$?!?! You deserve every penny they can offer! Thanks again!

BTW, is it normal for my framerates to drop on the selection options? It used to be up to 30 fps, but now its just 15. I assume that because I added 4 more ports, it will cut the total FPS allowed per port in half. Am i correct?