Postmon

Quick Question on IP Hardware Setup before I install Cat 6

Hi all,

I'm working on creating an IP camera system for my home with Cat 6. I'm focusing on wiring and placement of hardware right now (haven't selected specific system yet).

I'd like to be able to manage the NVR directly from the PC in my home office and have the NVR and POE Switch hidden in another room.

Before I run the Cat 6 today, I just want to confirm that this configuration will work:

Cameras <> Cat6 cables <> POE Switch <> Cat 6 cable <> NVR <> Cat 6 cable <>Router <>Cat6 Cable <> PC

Does this work? Just want to make sure I'll be able to manage the NVR from my PC without having to attach a mouse/monitor to the NVR?

Thanks in advance for you input.

-Postmon

That won't work, unless you get an NVR with 2 networks, which is not common.

From the POE switch it has to go to the cameras, and to both the NVR and your router.

Thanks for the input. I'm trying to have a configuration where my existing PC (in home office) controls the Camera System (NVR/POE hidden in a closet in another room) via the Router (in home office). Ultimately, I I'm trying to determined if all I have to do is run Cat 6 between the two rooms.

So, if I add a CAT 6 between the POE and Router, and have my PC connected just to the router, would that work?

Cameras <> POE <> Router* <> NVR

* Router <> PC

Does that make sense?

I'm not fully understanding your text-based layout. Are you referring to something such as this?

287264_1.jpg

For PC #1 (one that is on your local network)

It'll connect to the NVR easy-peasy just using the local IP address of the NVR (such as 192.168.1.108..or whatever it has been assigned on the local network).

for PC #2 (outside the local network)

It can connect if there's a mechanism for it to pass through the router, such as a port-forward setting on the router.

Everything connected to the POE switch, if you do have enough ports (NVR, router and PC do not need to be on a POE port).

PC and NVR could actually be coonected to the POE switch or router, but the NVR would make a lit more sense connected to the switch, so the network traffic from all the cameras does not have to go through both switch and router.

I'm such a newb! . I should have created a diagram from the beginning!

Let me start over. The NVR and POE switch would be hidden in a closet (no mouse/monitor connected directly to the NVR). I'd like to use my day-to-day PC located in my home's office to manage/control the NVR .

Is this how I would set that up?

1399235717_CameraConfiguration(1).jpg.87bb3aa40bead525f45ac274520ae3d4.jpg