Sign in to follow this  
nickill2

Not sure what to buy

Hello! New here to this forums. I'm hoping someone can help. There is a lot of different systems out there, but I've had a hard time finding good reviews of systems and not sure which is best. I'm looking for a 8 Channel, NVR that does PoE built in, or not built in. Prefer that it already has a built in hard drive (1TB is fine, 2TB is best). I've looked around on Amazon, Newegg, and just internet in general, but theres just so many systems and i'm just not sure which one is best. The cameras are mostly going to be outside, so they need to be weather proof, and only a couple will be inside.

Thanks!

Hello! New here to this forums. I'm hoping someone can help. There is a lot of different systems out there, but I've had a hard time finding good reviews of systems and not sure which is best. I'm looking for a 8 Channel, NVR that does PoE built in, or not built in. Prefer that it already has a built in hard drive (1TB is fine, 2TB is best). I've looked around on Amazon, Newegg, and just internet in general, but theres just so many systems and i'm just not sure which one is best. The cameras are mostly going to be outside, so they need to be weather proof, and only a couple will be inside.

Thanks!

This is probably not what you want to use, but I prefer to piece systems together. Buying separate IP cameras that are well-rated and rolling your own NVR on a standard computer in my opinion is simple, and results in a highly flexible system with low risk.

Do you have a recommendation regarding software and cameras?

I used Hikvision IP turrets and Xeoma running on Linux, although it'll run on Windows too. Xeoma is cheap and seems to work with practically any camera, and is simple to set up. If you're interested, I have a review at http://wirehead.net76.net/xeoma/xeoma.html

Thanks a bunch for that. I looked into that software and it looks perfect. I think I'll just do what you did and build a custom system. It seems like a better plan, and a bit cheaper.

Thanks a bunch for that. I looked into that software and it looks perfect. I think I'll just do what you did and build a custom system. It seems like a better plan, and a bit cheaper.

If you have any questions along the way, let me know. I've had mine running for about 8 months and it's been great.