Garry

What is meant by testing & commissioning?

I've decided to leave it to the contractors to lay the cables for the CCTVs and DVR for me. I was informed by them that their part is only to do the laying of wires and that's about it. It does not include testing & commissioning. What do they mean by testing and commissioning? Pardon my ignorance.

So does laying wire also include plugging up the CCTVs to the DVR and power supply? If not, is it a simple task to be done on my own?

Thank you.

testing = cable passes signal (video, dat, ect.) to a standard. Some use a meter to test for signal strength and freq. response.

commissioning = ??? never hear that word..., connect and place into "service".

if they have not "tipped" the ends yet the connecting of them is not that easy. if tipped, yes, connecting them is not that hard....BUT, has the power been cabled also? connecting up the power can be a bit harder, but not impossible. if 24 ACvolts just connect one wire to each lead. If 12vdc, you need to make sure you apply the + voltage to the proper lead on the camera...............or no joy.

but I have to ask. if you purchased a "system", was the seller leaving out "the fine print" on the contract? to sell a installed system and not connect it is a bit sloppy and greedy......or did you contract a cable install only?

Hi thanks for enlightening . Ermm but what do you mean by tipped? I really know nuts about this. Basically I just tried getting a separate system on my own and now I'm trying to find someone to install it up for me... but the cost is rather expensive.

For the 'power' part, to be frank, I'm totally lost.

Thank you

testing = cable passes signal (video, dat, ect.) to a standard. Some use a meter to test for signal strength and freq. response.

if they have not "tipped" the ends yet the connecting of them is not that easy. if tipped, yes, connecting them is not that hard....BUT, has the power been cabled also? connecting up the power can be a bit harder, but not impossible. if 24 ACvolts just connect one wire to each lead. If 12vdc, you need to make sure you apply the + voltage to the proper lead on the camera...............or no joy.

but I have to ask. if you purchased a "system", was the seller leaving out "the fine print" on the contract? to sell a installed system and not connect it is a bit sloppy and greedy......or did you contract a cable install only?

Commissioning occurs after you've wired, tested components, programmed, burned-in the system, and once happy (aren't we all!) make the system operational and advise the client.

Yah, if the wire contractor just lays the cable, he won't wire up your gear...let alone install connectors. If he's capable, ask him to install the components you are not familiar with....case of beer can usually work!....two if it's a hot day! Canadian beer is the best! LOL

It's the cost of doing business....hire someone to install the equipment perhaps get a recommendation from the place you bought the equipment (if you haven't done this already).

You need to think long term.....what happens when I have a problem with the system?

We are here if you have any further inquiries.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.....Rapid

Hey thanks man. THis is such a wonderful forum with wonderful people around.

Commissioning occurs after you've wired, tested components, programmed, burned-in the system, and once happy (aren't we all!) make the system operational and advise the client.

Yah, if the wire contractor just lays the cable, he won't wire up your gear...let alone install connectors. If he's capable, ask him to install the components you are not familiar with....case of beer can usually work!....two if it's a hot day! Canadian beer is the best! LOL

It's the cost of doing business....hire someone to install the equipment perhaps get a recommendation from the place you bought the equipment (if you haven't done this already).

You need to think long term.....what happens when I have a problem with the system?

We are here if you have any further inquiries.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.....Rapid

Anyone knows where I can get a meter for testing signal strength and freq. from? Is it a must to test for the signal and freq...or can I just plug and play...

Once the cable is run correctly and the cameras are connected and working properly, you can generally just plug and play. Just remember that The proper Power Cable and Power Supplies is also as important as anything else.

Otherwise look for CCTV Video Meters, and if you really have a pocket to burn, check out the FM systems Camera Master.

Ive never had to use either myself.

Oic...thank you very much.

Once the cable is run correctly and the cameras are connected and working properly, you can generally just plug and play. Just remember that The proper Power Cable and Power Supplies is also as important as anything else.

Otherwise look for CCTV Video Meters, and if you really have a pocket to burn, check out the FM systems Camera Master.

Ive never had to use either myself.

I agree..........unless your installing you really don't want to spend 700 on a meter just to check the signal. connect and "see" how it goes from there.

tipped means, connectors installed on cable.

Thanks man... So i guess not any Tom, Dick & Harry can get the connectors installed on cable.

I agree..........unless your installing you really don't want to spend 700 on a meter just to check the signal. connect and "see" how it goes from there.

Thanks man... So i guess not any Tom, Dick & Harry can get the connectors installed on cable.

It requires some experience, whether using Twist Ons or Crimps, but its really not that difficult. But if the connector isnt on properly then you will experience issues.

It requires some experience, whether using Twist Ons or Crimps, but its really not that difficult. But if the connector isnt on properly then you will experience issues.

Wow, another lesson learnt...will take note of the connectors when installing. Thanks man

that said .. you can actually tie the ground to ground and video to video and dont need a connector to the cable from camera .. but dont let me confuse you on that .. thats something I only do if I dont have any other choice as you have to cut the cameras cable, looses warranty .. though it does work, and better than a connector Just not the right way to do it ...

Twist on BNC Connectors are all you will need. If you run RCA dual Power/Video Cable like the 100' all in one cables then you may need RCA-BNC Adaptors also, though they normally come with the adaptors. If using RG59 Siamese you should be straight with Twist on BNCs.

Rory