Sign in to follow this  
Brewsky88

Should I change it?

I got my camera system done over the weekend and all is well except 1 camera (the closest to the DVR) is not transmitting video but it does have power. I already tried putting a different camera there to see if something happened to it to no avail. I tested all of these cameras, with the cable lengths that are on them, in my living room before mounting and they worked fine. I think something might have happened to the cable while running everything through the attic. It is not pointing to a critical zone, that position was an afterthought of "I still have a couple channels left, I guess I'll put one here." I am not thrilled about the thought of army crawling through my attic again and snaking my way between trusses and under the central A/C and heating ducts. I did not imagine how big of a PITA it would be and just how big of a bundle would be going to the box. I am already considering ripping everything out and going with CAT cable. With 4 bundled pair cable I can run 2 cameras per length of cable with power/video Balums and it will be much lighter and easier to handle. Are these cameras (non-HD) sending enough data where running CAT-6 will make a difference or will CAT-5 do just fine? Also, should I go get the cable and connections and just get it done and over with or should I hold off until there is something that really needs to be addressed since the rest of the system is fine right now?