Tony259

logical cost affective years long image storage?

What is the most cost affective and logical way to store video from 4 cameras set for motion in an office that is open 5 days a week 8 hours a day.

I would like to save the video for 5-7 years

Thank you in advance for your help

What is the most cost affective and logical way to store video from 4 cameras set for motion in an office that is open 5 days a week 8 hours a day.

Why would you ever need that kind of look back?

You likely dont have the budget for it...

Two problems:

1. Massive amount of storage required. How much depends on the bitrate coming off the cameras, etc.

2. Disk failures will be a problem. You'd need a RAID-5 array and have to replace failed drives occasionally. Plus the power consumption of this would add up to something.

Another issue, which may not be an issue at all, is you'd likely have to use a PC-based DVR, not an off the shelf DVR. In my opinion this is preferable anyway, but there's some technical knowledge required to do all this.

Hard drive's generally have a life of 3-5 years so it will be difficult to find good hardware for your need. Cloud is your best bet, but it will need investment for the large storage and the bandwidth/data connection. So you should invest in NVRs and cloud technology for minimising your costs. Physical storage will be costly.

Hard drive's generally have a life of 3-5 years so it will be difficult to find good hardware for your need. Cloud is your best bet, but it will need investment for the large storage and the bandwidth/data connection. So you should invest in NVRs and cloud technology for minimising your costs. Physical storage will be costly.

Also consider if the kit you use will be supportable (or even available) after 7 years - that also goes for the codec used.

Depending on which country you are in, there may also be regulatory issues (now or in the future).

Ilkie