HeadsUp

how much length of CAT 6 can support its own weight ?

if running CAT 6 vertically straight up the side of a building in conduit , how much length can be run without clamping the cable to support its weight ?

anyone got figures or standards for this ?

I have a 10 story run ( 46 meters )

What is wrong with putting it in conduit ?

Hahhahahahahhaha !

Why the *** would you think I wouldn't use conduit ?

Ke ?

Can you read the question ?

I want to know how far apart I should space supports to prevent cable damage.

I would do 10ft or less. I would also loop the cable at each mounting point so the gell doesn't drain out the bottom of the cable.

Thank you

Hahhahahahahhaha !

Ke ?

SORRY - missed that bit , but I'm still unsure if you are talking about supporting the conduit or supporting the cable. You are talking about cable damage but as long as the cable is fixed at the bottom where it exits the conduit it becomes self supporting within the conduit. If you are talking about the conduit then there are probably guidlines for your area. I saddle it every metre vertically or at 600mm horizontally

Hahhahahahahhaha !

Ke ?

SORRY - missed that bit , but I'm still unsure if you are talking about supporting the conduit or supporting the cable. You are talking about cable damage but as long as the cable is fixed at the bottom where it exits the conduit it becomes self supporting within the conduit. If you are talking about the conduit then there are probably guidlines for your area. I saddle it every metre vertically or at 600mm horizontally

Nope

I am talking about supporting the cable so the weight of 40+ meters of cable doesn't damage it if it's supported only at the top.

40 meters of cat 6 would be around 3 kg .

is it rated to support that much weight without stretching ?

I could be wrong but I'm guessing you haven't done a lot of cabling. Here is a little experiment to try. Hang your conduit down the side of the building and feed your cable in until it comes out the bottom. Fix it at the bottom so it cannot move and then keep feeding the cable in from the top until it stops falling in from its own weight. When this happens note that there is NO weight now pulling the cable in. This is because instead of the cable being pulled by your 3Kg weight it is now under compession by the weight of the cable above. Most of the load being taken care of by frictional contact with the conduit.