Sign in to follow this  
robertc513

New Video Surveillance System of Production Facility

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum and new to video surveillance. I work for a company that is interested in putting in a small video surveillance system in with digital recording. I believe we are gonna wanna go with a PC based dvr sytem and was wondering if it is worth the cost to buy the complete sytem or by the software alone and by the PC portion elsewhere. I'm also wondering the names of a couple of good software programs. We are looking to put two cameras outside and two camera in two corners of the facility as well as one camera overlooking the packaging department. We would like to have the sytem wireless if possible and if within reason. Also, we want the cameras to start recording when they see motion. The 2 cameras outside we would like to be high enough resolution that a license plate could be read if needed. The 3 inside the facility would not have to be high resolution as most of the people inside the shop will be distinguishable.

Like I said I'm new to this and trying to learn but it seems very overwhelming all the different types of cameras and systems. If anyone could point in a good direction and help me along the way it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

If you have the time, your answers lie in the previous postings on this forum. There is a specific string that deals with the possibility of recording license plates without a dedicated entry way camera and reviews of many popular DVR cards as well as common problems of each. Happy Reading!

I wish i did have the time. They are wanting some ideas by the end of this week and so I'm trying to get it done as soon as possible while still continuing my other responsibilities. I have gone through some of the posts but I was just hoping someone could just point to a couple different softwares...a couple different types of cameras and wireless systems. I'm not looking for information on the pros and cons of everything...just trying to get pointed in the right direction so I can narrow down what I need to reasearch. If that makes any sense. There is just a lot of different types out there and anything that would help me narrow my search would be much appreciated. I will continue to look through previous posts also, but then there is also quite a few of those to go through. Thank you for any help you may be able to offer me.

Wireless is something I would avoid. To do it right is expensive and to do it cheaply is expensive. The right gear reduces risk of problems but it costs alot. To do it cheaply is expensive because you will make motion detection worthless and run a strong chance of the system not working at all.