personalt

Archiving Video to save space.

I am running two toshibas and a panasonic ip camera. Right now i am using active web cam while i review other software.

My issue is file storage.

I am running a 640x480 picture at .5 frames I am running about 330 megs per hour per camera if i record to straight avi.

I was having the program recompress with divx when in 200 meg blocks but i am wondering if there is a better solution. My problem with divx via active web cam is it only allows for one pass. if i run in multipl

if i record in straight avi or mpeg is there a program i can run later that will resize the files down to something smaller with a lower framerate?

What I want to do is keep the full size files for a week and then archive them at a smaller size and lower framerate. Is there a program that i can re-compress these files with. a bid concern is not losing the original timestamp. that would make my life a lot easier.

is there a good way to do this? is there a better codec to use?

You can use Windows Movie Maker to convert an AVI to a WMV file .. this can make an 800MB 720x480 AVI file as small as 80MB.

Rory

The problem is automating the batch process. Windows movie maker isn't good for that. On a linux box I could set up a cron job to do it but you're going to have a hard time doing it in windows.

I was looking at it further and I think I have two issues.

1. Is stringing the AVI files together. On some days I set the file size really low like 30 megs. So some days I have 20 files for one day. I would want to rebuild those into one file.

2. reworking the files to decrease size. Either by removing frames, reducing size or a adjusting quality.

These cameras watch a construciton site, my goal is to have good video for a week or so to watch for theft etc. However the goal of archived video is to just generally track the guys progress so at the end I can work through the videos and figure out how long in days it took to do certain tasks.

If there good software for stiching avi files, adjusting framerates/compressing all while not messing with the date code. I would prefer if the dates dont get changed but since the dates are in the file it is not a super huge deal, just something I would like.