personalt

Milestone, conntecting from a second PC

I am demoing milestone xprotect. The software is just great. My issue is can run the remote client from the pc running the server but I cant connect from any other PC. Even PCs inside my firewall and on the same subnet.

There is a config that says to allow remote access and asks for an external IP address. I tried using both the PCs 192.168.4.101 address and the 72.71.120.250 external address in that spot. Neither work.

Is there some trick to this? I thought it was a firewall issue at first but when I couldnt connect from another PC inside my network I knew it was something more.

Anyone have any ideas? I sent a message to milestone support but I figured someone here might know.

What version of Milestone are you using?

The most common problem accessing Milestone remotely is the Image server is not setup correctly or not running.

Check the services running on your machine and you should have a service called "Milestone Image Server". Is this started? if not start the service. Try typing "localhost" in the address bar in your browser on the machine running milestone. If you get the milestone page asking you to choose which client you wish to use then its working correctly.

If you don't get the page the first thing I would check is what port you have setup the image server to run on? Default port 80.

If you changed this then you need to specify the port you change it to when accessing through the browser or remote client.

eg : 192.168.0.2:81 (port number at the end when using a browser)

Hope this helps!

John

I've had the same problem. I was running Milestone Xprotect on a Windows XP Pro machine.

Turning off the built-in XP firewall did the trick for me. Hope that helps.

Martin