18pcs

PTZ with GE Kalatel Question

I am trying to build my system slowly and have just bought a Pelco Dome 3 and a Kalatel PTZ Camera. Got a good deal , so bought bought without actually knowing what I am getting into.

I have the following queries for which seek advice/help from the forum members,

1) Would I be able to run a Pelco and a Kalatel PTZ at the same time. I have a Kalatel DVRme 320GB Triplex.

2) I believe I will need a controller right away. I checked the price of a KTD 405 , but at the moment it is out of my budget. Would it be possible in any way to control both the PTZ cameras through any software or could I buy some cheap controller as a stop gap until I can afford a 405.

3) Is some special wiring needed for a PTZ or could it be mounted instead of another camera on a normal coaxial wire. DO I need to run any other wires from the PTZ to the DVR.

Would welcome all advice and thanks in advance.

Is it a Cyberdome or the newer Legend?

The Legend can use any keypad, as you can change the Protocols to Pelco, etc. As far as I know the CyberDome requires a GE Keypad and only works with the Kalatel Protocols... doesnt need to be the KTD405 though .. there is a cheaper model that can work, though not as "neat".

Not sure about the Pelco, I imagine it requires a Pelco Keypad. The DVR will allow you to use Pelco Protocols also, but perhaps not both brands at the same time. Best bet would be to email their tech support, or wait and see if someone replies here.

Rory

It is a Cyberdome. Do you know which cheaper controller would work ? Any of the cheap chinese ones or do I have to buy a GE?

Has to be a GE Keypad .. ill have to check some more .. ive only ever used the KTD405

YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO RUN IT STRAIGHT THROUGH THE SOFTWARE THOUGH YOU DO NEED CONTROL WIRE TO GO INTO THE RS PORT

ON THE DVR FROM THE PTZ

SO FAR AS USING BOTH PTZ TOGETHER THAT SHOULD NOT BE AN ISSUE EITHER.

GE DOES SELL SOME CONVERSION DEVICES TO MAKE THIS AN EASIER PROCESS THAT MIGHT COST LESS THAT A KTD-405

MY SUGGESTION IS TO CALL THEM THEIR TECH SUPPORT IS PRETTY GOOD 888-GESECURITY EXPLAIN THE WHOLE SITUATION AND YOU MIGHT END UP WITH SOME GOOD SUGGESTIONS

SO FAR AS INTEGRATING PELCO AND GE JUST FROM PAST EXPERIENCE WHEN IT COMES TO INTEGRATION COMPANIES TEND TO PASS THE BUCK (PELCO BLAMES GE, GE BLAMES PELCO) SO HEADS UP FOR THAT

GOOD LUCK

AS FAR AS WIRE YOU NEED COAX FOR VIDEO 18/2 FOR POWER AND 1 PAIR OF CAT 5 FOR CONTROL

IT IS BEST NOT TO MIX WIRES I HAVE SEEN SOME CHEAPOS RUN ONE CAT 5 AND USE ONE PAIR FOR POWER AND ONE FOR CONTROL.....NOT A GOOD IDEA RUN SEPERATE AND YOU'LL SAVE HEADACHES