Willie

Active or Passive Receiver?

I am installing a CCTV camera at the gate to our driveway. The camera has 480 lines of horizontal resolution, and IV p-p 75 Ohm composite output.

The total distance from the gate to the monitor in my house is about 600 feet. I recently asked on this Forum for the bandwidth of a 480 line CCTV camera because I was wondering if it was worth ignoring the camera manufacturer’s recommendation of using RG59/U and using RG6/U.

Now that I have done some more searching on the Internet, and read the information on this Forum, I believe it would be better to use a twisted pair, without shielding, instead of coax. I talked to one of the technical reps at NVT and they suggested using one of their passive baluns (Model NV 214-A Video Transceiver) at the camera and their active receiver (Model NV 652-R Video Receiver) at the house-end of the run of twisted pair.

I have 2 questions: 1. when I talked to the installer about NVT’s suggestions, he thought I was wasting my money on an active receiver. He said because the resolution of the camera was so low, I wouldn’t notice the difference between an active receiver and another passive balun. Who has the better approach for the best signal I can get?

2. What is the reputation of NVT and is there a higher quality manufacturer I should be looking at?

Thanks, Sam

P.S., I have also posted this question on the transmission line Forum, but so far have gotten no responses. So, I am sorry if I have made you read this twice.

Hi ... NVT has great gear .. but what is the model of camera you have chosen?

Rory

Hi Rory,

Thank you for replying to my post.

The camera is an option for the Chamberlain Elite 25 Keypad and is on a card that is installed in the keypad. The keypad is located at the gate near the entrance to our driveway. By using the keypad or the internal intercom and the image we see in the house of who is wanting to get into the yard, we can control who comes through the gate.

The Spec for the Elite 25 does not give the manufacturer of the camera, but Chamberlain's model is: EL25DVRCAMKT. If there is anything else from the spec for the camera, I will be glad to give it to you. But, the "Effective Pixels are: NTSC: 512 (H) x 482 (v) with 480 horizontal TV lines. The scanning System is 2:1 Interlaced, amd the video output is IV p-p 75 Ohm composite. It is 1-1/2 inches square.

I hope this helps.

Hi, doesnt appear to be very low res, though going by the effective pixels its also not high res .. even though it says 480TVL .. dont know anything about the keypad so cant help there .. did it come with the camera from the manufacturer? Is it already getting power from the keypad? What connections does the camera have? With the Aiphone for example you use the cable that Aiphone suggests .. as typically there are different connections and power ratings, etc.. plus those cameras in the Aiphone arent typically considered CCTV cameras and are of lower quality with less features.

Rory

found the manual online .. seems its just a basic OEM camera. .. no real need for active with that probably ... but its up to you .. according to NVT you can do passive 750' with their products .. typically you can get much further, thats just general specs if connecting to a DVR. If it was a high quality camera id definately say get Active .. but from what i can see its a basic camera.

Rory