Is anyone using BNC Compression fittings for RG6? Are they OK to use or is the two piece crimp better?

Thanks

Scott

compression is better as it seals the connector and it easier to do. crimp'n also works fine. quality wise they are both "good". in the end it depends on the tools you like to use in installing. I still "trust" crimp'n becasuse I can see the tip and feel the connection after it is made. Compression is all done with no visual reference other then a quick tug to make sure it is right. As with all connections, the final test is in the pic.

my advice; if your not used to crimp'n go with compression.

I agree with most of what you said vst-man but I feel you dont need a visual reference with compression. Because if you did not do it right it does not stay on. Its either 100% correct or 0%. Ya with compression once that sucker is on there, it is on there! They are excellent for maintaing 75 ohm's within the connection regardless. The only down side to compression is they significantly more expensive per compression ends and compression tool. But since I started using them around november we have not had to replace any ends on any cables yet! That goes to the credit of either its done correct or it will slide right off.

oh ya might I add the fact that I had to buy a bunch of connectors at the beginning as it took everyone a little while to get use to the way you have to strip the jacket and foam perfectly.

they do seem to be a little more pricey but it would be easier i think when you are up high on a ladder and quiet cant get the leverage on the crimp handle on the regular crimp kind. am i correct in thinking that the compression take less muscle to do. and could you recomend a place to buy them and the tool? Thanks again.

Scott

I like the 3-piece from Cambridge or AIM 27-9100. They take more time to terminate, but are more robust in the long-term. The pin is mechanically bonded to the center conductor, which makes a better electrical connection. I do keep a few twist-on types in the box too...

I've largely used 1-piece twist ons and 2-piece crimp ons in the past, but now I'm a big fan 2-piece compression connectors. They are pretty much fool-proof, not to mention pull-proof. They also cost close to the same as a 1-piece twist on.