lister

How to crimp RCA connectors onto RG59 coax

Hi all,

Newbie here.

I have bought a load of crimp on RCA connectors. These ones in fact:

http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSearch/partDetail.jsp?SKU=CN06939&N=411

I have also bought a rachet crimp for fitting them.

My problem is that I'm not sure how to go about it. I've looked on the web and the few guides I've found show an inner sheath that must first be crimped onto the inner core before it is inserted into the connector. However, the ones I bought have no such bits.

Also, the connectors have a small hole in the end, such that I can push the inner core right through if I strip it back enough. This makes me think that I must be doing something wrong, as there seems to be no solid connection with the inner core, and I worry about the lack of apparent insulation between the inner core, and the outer sheath of the connector which you wrap the braid around.

Also, when I crimped the collar over the braid I was left with an extremely distorted collar, not just a hexagon. Am I crimping it too small? If I use a bigger hole with my crimps then it feels seems too loose.

Sorry for the newbie questions!

CN06939.jpg

Hi Lister,

There is no center crimp pin required as this RCA plug requires the center conductor to be soldered. The sleeve is then crimped on the copper shield.

45582_1.jpg

It will take a bit of practice, but:

1. Skin the center conductor long enough so that it pushes through the hole in the center conductor of the RCA plug.

2. Clean back the copper shield so that it covers the neck of the connector. (as above)

3. Slide collar over neck of connector and crimp. (As you mentioned, if crimp is uneven, then crimp chuck is too small...use larger chuck for RG-59?...play around with the amount of insulation to make a tight fit.

4. And finally, you need to solder the center tip. Heat the center pin on the connector and when hot, slowly apply solder. The center core of the cable should bond with the connector.....remember not too much heat!

Hope this helps.

1. Skin the center conductor long enough so that it pushes through the hole in the center conductor of the RCA plug.

So the dielectric doesn't go into the neck at all? I tried this last night but it is far too thick. I just worry about the center conductor touching the inside of the neck of the connector, and thus shorting.

2. Clean back the copper shield so that it covers the neck of the connector. (as above)

Do I need to leave exposed dielectric as above?

3. Slide collar over neck of connector and crimp. (As you mentioned, if crimp is uneven, then crimp chuck is too small...use larger chuck for RG-59?...play around with the amount of insulation to make a tight fit.

So the collar goes purely over the neck of the connector that is covered by copper shield? It does not grip the outer insulation of the cable at all? (It's just your saying "play around with the amount of insulation" that has confused me a little). Also given that the collar is not even wide enough to cover the enter connector neck, if I leave dielectric exposed as per point 2, then that is just more copper shield that is exposed without being covered by the collar.

4. And finally, you need to solder the center tip. Heat the center pin on the connector and when hot, slowly apply solder. The center core of the cable should bond with the connector.....remember not too much heat!

So where do I apply the solder? Do I end up with a lump of solder on the end of the pin, or should it flow *inside* the center pin? Do I need to snip the center conductor flush with the end of the connector when I'm done?

Many many thanks for your help and sorry again for all the questions.