freeflyer

component spec for ideal GV1480 system

Hi all

After extensive research on this site, I am setting up a Geo 1480 System on a new build and need some advice on speccing the ideal components before purchase - I want the best possible system available with reliability / redundancy built in using the best components, not the cheapest. Using 1480 DVI card.

Possibly using Gigabyte GA-8I945P-G RH M-board and aiming at over 1TB storage.

Questions are;

OS setup on RAID 1 / Data store setup on RAID (probably 5) any advice? Would I be better using a RAID Card?

Processor: was going to use LGA775 3.0G(630) (Socket T) HT –

Would I be better or worse off with a dual core instead?

Graphics: read the ATI X300 is the way to go - is this the best solution or just a cost effective one?

If funds are not an issue, what’s the best card for this system?

HDD: WD enterprise drives for OS & storage

Memory: 1Gig Dual channel DDR2 667 (twin matched pair Corsair)

PSU: yet to select but would prefer a modular / cable management type

Finally, would I just be better getting a GV Hot swap pre built system? Can you get them in the UK?

Thanx for any advice

My system specs I just ordered:

-Geovision 1480 card

-ASUS Socket 775 motherboard with 945 chipset

-Intel 3.0 Ghz dual core processor

-2 GB Ram

-3 500 GB Western Digital Drives, Raid 0 for 1.5 TB.

-Diamond ATI X700 256 MB PCIe Video Card

-DVD-RW Drive

I am in the process of finding a good lockbox to set it in. Preferably one that has exhaust to help keep the PC cool. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I should probably look for a lock box that has enough space for a UPS. Don't need to overlook that!

Freeflyer, i think you have it downpacked ..

though i would use names like Asus & ATI ..

1GB DDR is fine BTW ...I run a 16ch GV800 since last august on 256MD DDR .. hasnt had a single issue yet ... remember there is alot more to deal with to speed up the DVR ... software wise .. hardware is only half the issue ..

Hey

just swapped the M board to Asus P5LD2 Deluxe BTW, better features and my last board was an Asus too, rockin hardware, just putting it into a vapochill XE as I am a bit of a spec geek

Rory; Got the Extreme cams this week - nice, will update you with a handover on the EX80 & EX14's when system up & running; I will be prepping the SW and removing all the crap 1st, including taking your pre install / XP tweaking recommendations into account - Thanx, -

any advice on a good soft/hardware stress / load testing package to drill down the PC and specifically test the GV card before going into operation would be appreciated

BTW Rory; I am presently compiling a list of Registry hacks/ tweaks that should / could also be performed to aid the smooth running of XP and stop unwanted issues before they happen, I will forward you a copy when it's complete (and I have tested them on an GV system 1st also!)

Hi Voloftn, regarding the lockbox, I was unsure whether to go lockable rack or lockbox myself, I am getting one built to spec locally that will be bolted down and big enough for the kit, PC, Gbit switch UPS etc, it will also have a heat / humidity switch that turns on an extractor when needed & throws the air outside- I would recommend either a shower duct fan (quiter) or an inline duct fan (more air removed) for this task, all depends on where the box is located, i'm interested in what PSU have you gone for

good luck with the build, my final spec is as follows, you will see from the components I am choosing that I want this system to last and to run 24 / 7 every day without a single hickup;

Asus P5LD2 Deluxe

2Gb Corsair Twin X matched pair 667 memory

3.0 G processor (Dual Core)

OS on RAID 1 - 2X 36Gb Raptors

Storage on Raid 1 or 10- 1Tb on WD enterprise SATA II drives (4X 500GB WD RE2 WD5000YS; 5 year warranty)

eSATA for external storage / backup on Thecus N2050

PSU: PC power & cooling Turbo-Cool 510 Express-nuff said!

6 X 120mmm Papst fans- believe me they are worth the xtra cost

256Mb ATI graphics - yet to select which one

UPS; yet to decide

built to task Lockbox with external extractor fans

like it?

cool, let me know

i recently started messing with reg hacks but didnt have the time to complete them .. we could put it in a prog and make some euros .. let me know when you're done ..

Rory

No problem, for you it would be a pleasure dude

Also considering compiling a step by step manual as I build this one (one of my hats is as an IT training company director including devising & creating bespoke software training courses & manuals then testing them before training rollout) I felt that an illustrated how to build your own would be good for DIY'ers and CCTV' co's that have yet to take the plunge into PC based; whaddya think?

will send you a PM on my other idea....

Hi Freeflyer and All,

I'm on here seeking advice when I saw this thread and thought I might offer some in exchange.

I'm not sure what the power requirements are of you GeoVision card, but if money is no object, the PSU's in the world for most seriously power hungry applications are by PC power & Cooling. They're mainly aimed at hardcore benchmark nutters like some of my friends and you'll be paying well into the £350+ price bracket, but they're rock solid and pretty indestructable with extreemly low RFI emmisions. Probably overkill, but you said money was no object!

If, like me, you're running on a budget, a very good PSU is the Tagan modular series. Their 900watter comes in at just under £200 inclusive and has 14(!) SATA connectors, 7 Molex connectors, 4 PCI-E Power connectors, a 8 pin power connector, a 4 pin power connector, a Molex > FDD converter and they also supply an IEC lead with the same fancy shielded wiring as the PCI-E connectors. Nice huh!?

As for you decision on a RAID card or using the mother board on-bord RAID, here's a little snippet of little know information that may sway your descision... To my knowledge, Win XP will not talk diretly to MOST on board RAID controllers unless they're based on the Adaptec chipset (which most aren't, they're usually S.ilicon I.mage L.imited). So to make them work, the windriver has to act as translator between the card and the file system. As a result, using RAID functions uses system resources but more importantly, software RAID pages the drives constantly and thus puts alot of extra strain on them. Form my point of view (as a video tech for rock 'n' roll) this is not a good thing a reliability is paramount and for the extra money, i'd rather run a Rocket Raid or adaptec card in my machines then save a few quid on using the onboard one.

However, i've been told that the onbord cards are fine and don't suffer this problem if you're not running them in RAID mode.

I would emphasise that this information isn't verbatum, just what i've been told by a few people in my industy an a couple of IT techs I know...

Anyways, I hope this has been useful to you and anyone else who is thinking along these lines

Good luck with ya system!

Hey wookie

I have gone for the PC power & cooling Turbo-Cool 510 Express-PSU, check out the site below for prices, they offer this model at less than your Tagan (£160 inclusive of VAT) however it depends what you need wattage wise, there are other models:

It's surprising how many DIY PC builders select a crap PSU until they learn the hard way, When it comes to power supplies, it’s performance and reliability that count; if you are running a system 24/7 its one of the most important components there is in your box, especially if you want stable power rails; so go to http://www.extremeprometeia.com they are in Scotland; UK

hope this floats yer boat

regards

Edited by Guest

Well smart voloftn

nice looking bit of kit, i'd be interested to know how you get on with it

regards - freeflyer

hey .. so how did the build go ... dont remember ever seeing a post regarding this ... let us know .. thanks

Rory