freeflyer

HT or dual core?

Hi all

I am building a new system for a 1480 card and have to choose between

a Pentium 4 3.0 with hyperthreading or a dual core

Geovision support have explained that dual core processors will work on a GV system (1480) but which will perform best?

Any advice greatly appreciated

dont think either really matter with geo .. unless they designed it on one of those CPUs ...??

thanks folks

Dual core it is, see my other post (component spec for ideal GV1480 system) for the final machine spec, ordering kit today

Can't wait to get it up and running, thanx to all in the forum for your help so far, especially Rory & Thomas; cheers Guys; I owe you a cold one " title="Applause" />

PS Rory; what does downpacked mean?

Thought I should post this reply from Geo to put it down for others..

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your reply to us.

Both hardware have been tested by our engineering and there appears to be no major difference when using a dual core instead of a P4 HT machine.

Therefore, we believe you may choose the one which you would prefer.

Please let us know if you have any further concerns over this.

Thank you again for your e-mail reply.

Best regards,

GeoVision Technical Support

Harry

Odd. They should see a differance unless the application is single threaded...which would be odd.

Rory,

Are you saying that the machines we're building are overkill?

A few questions I have:

-Does playback effect the performance of Geovision 1480 when it is recording?

-How does Geovision handle the recording when you're ripping a video, etc?

-Can you slow down the 30 FPS recording rate by performing other takes on the computer?

Maybe I'm over analyzing, but I am excited about getting this thing up and going as you can tell from my other posts.

Hi folks

As I am building a new PC for this task anyway it makes sense that I use the best components for the money I have available. Add to this the geek factor and that I view the Geo system I will be using as a critical system that I cannot afford any single link in the chain to be not up to the job 24/7.

More importantly; I want this system to be powerful enough and able to provide the following:

Full time recording on highest resolutions possible on 12 to 14 cams (Q; will this be 720 X 576 on 12 to 14 cams on a GV1480?)

Add to this that the images will also be getting accessed via LAN (Gbit Ethernet) on a 24/7 basis: and

that image data will be uploaded / recorded off site also, does it not make sense to select a high spec PC / component level for the task at hand? After all I don’t want to be wasting money for the sake of it either!

From previous experience of component reliability and building high spec PC systems for business or play I know the difference in reliability between a lower spec / oem component versus a higher spec & better branded / tested for constant use &/or overclocking item for example; the extra cash paid for the improvements & reliability achieved has always provided me with the extra reliability, assurance and spare overhead I have needed, especially when it comes to future upgrades; software changes or an increased requirement on the kit that’s already in place.

As an example take a Porsche, you may not want to drive at 150 mph and choose to do 60 everywhere, BUT in the back of your mind you know the brakes will stop the car from 170 in half the distance of a normal family vehicle travelling at 50mph; that assurance behind the scenes Is the same angle I take when building a critical system, especially an IT based security one!

The Combo cards only should be set to 640x480 for best image quality and performance. Geo has an issue with 720x480 and the Combo Cards (after many emails it came right from their engineers in the end, though I knew this anyway). 30fps is only at 640x480 on a total of 8 cameras recording all at one time, when more than 8 cameras are recording it will decrease the recording speed. You can use 720x480 but #1 you wont get the record speed desired, #2 you will eat up HDD space at unbelieveble rates (different in 5 minute video size from 640 to 720 can be as much as 100-200MB+).

As for specs all you need for the combo cards is a 3Ghz P4 with 1GB of DDR .. the other cards like GV800, runs perfectly with something like a 2.4 -2.93 celleron and 512DDR.

As for Ripping, backing up, or playback - works fine. Otherwise with or without dual core or HT you are still dealing with a Windows OS so it is best to stop recording if you are going to back up. However it is not required and has little to no effect on the system, depends on the amount of cameras, whether they are set to record on motion only, and how much motion is going on at one time.

What I said is true also, Geo software works perfectly on a 1.5Ghz, in fact, my 2.0Ghz with 512 DDR has been running Geo since last year, plus i do a billion other things on this PC. Do i get stutters, sure, when im also viewing a 700MB DIVx movie..

Basically if you have the money, go for it, the faster the better... but in the world of selling systems you typically do not need more than the suggested specs. The hardware is only 1/2 the equation, the other half is the software setup .. almost every DVR company forgets the software importance.

Thanx for the info Rory

I hadn't realised on full time record that at 8+ cams there were restrictions / disadvantages that would affect the overall recording ability. Is this the edge of the technology available right now or just with geo? This isn’t shown in the marketing literature either is it?

I inadvertently thought by building a high spec system for the GV1480 it would allow me to have all the cake and eat it too! Should I therefore be considering 2 combo cards / systems to get the full time recording on all cameras or what? Aaaaghhh…

In an ideal world I was after a system with the Geo features; that would record full time on all 12+ cams from one box plus allow the possibility of upgrading to 16 cams in the future, with the best resolution available; simply due to wanting the best evidential quality available and not having problems if / when the data has to stand up in court here in the UK (real time is the only way to go for our needs and the way the UK courts are a’heading – especially in high level cases and anti terror evidence) UK has finally released some digital CCTV standards at last also, you may be interested See Code of Practice for Digital Recording Systems for the Purpose of Image Export to be used as Evidence. http://www.bsia.co.uk/pdfs/Form_191.pdf

Is there a one-box solution / system available in the marketplace that provides the dogs bollox & the recording ability I require, also I have come to expect / want the features that Geo software provides and cannot find a standalone that offers this.

I would love to know what is available at all levels of the trade, whether in my budget range or not.

Then again if there is it’s going to be at the corporate level with corporate prices no doubt

Regards & thanx

freeflyer

Freeflyer,

I'm in the same boat with you. I thought it would be 30 FPS at 640x480 on each camera up to 16. Now knowing it will only handle 8 cameras running at that resolution kinda stinks. It doesn't really effect the needs I have for it, but still.. it would be nice to know that I had all cameras running wide open.

If this is really what you're wanting, you're going to have to build 2 PCs to accomodate your needs. I think Geovision has a control center that will tie the two systems together. Then again, this will substantially increase the cost of the total system.

Increase it, it will in fact double it, then the price of control centre on top and the added problem of 2 X systems meaning increased possibility of errors / hardware issues / problems.. & More config/setup.. Has ticked me off a bit because this isn't apparent on the spec sheets & sales literature.

Don't get me wrong, I think Geo offers fantastic features and value for what you pay, but was going to go geo as a test exercise - I am looking at a solution to use myself and test to extreme first but with the aim of being able to provide to clients also (they will have to have real time record on all channels; no negotiation on that point) and, now I’m pausing before buying.

Geo sent me a file called “suggestPc1230.pdfâ€

Yeah someone actually pointed it out to me here before, and i noticed it when i had 13 cameras all picking up motion .. though in reality, its still really fast either way, seing as non PC systems have been recording for years at lower than 0.1 fps .. where 5 or 10 fps overall total was the norm and was allowed in court. I dont know exactly but maybe check with Cooperman or EzCCTv who are in the UK, but ive heard them mention that time lapse VCRs are still being used alot in the UK ..look at the video from the London bombings for an example ..

Otherwise looks like it will take 2 x 8 channels ...

Hey were not even selling the 1480s or 1240s here though, clients seem to want real time display as a priority, but recording at slower rates is fine for them (1120) .. plus you get much [much] longer recordings at slower record speeds.

Edited by Guest

I think my gripe about the real time recording requirement is that I perceived that it was available at the 480 resolution in all 16 ch. With today's storage capacities that are easily available (700 GB HDs will come down in price soon), the recording hardware should catch up.

How old is the current generation of Geovision hardware? I know that I looked at the 1480 card 3 years ago and it doesn't seem the specs have changed yet or have been enhanced with newer, faster technology.

To sum it up, I guess that we're just wanting a system that will provide recorded video as good as live video. We don't have a specific need for it, but then again there are luxuries we all have that we don't need. I will say that it is time that Geovision upgrades their hardware to accomodate it.

the 1480 just came out last fall, its a newer generation card with the newer DSP output. [made in south korea].

BTW i use 13 cameras on the 1480 on motion record only at a night club, they are open approx 4 nights a week, 640x480 .. we get around 7-9 days in Mpeg4 with 750GB, using "smart motion" on max record.

Basically the hardware is very good. Geo is a software company by the way.

The only beef i have with Geo is:

1) Crappy Remote Software

2) No Disk Map ..

Other than that, they are very high quality (usng DSP) and as stable as they get.