freeflyer

UPS query / recommendation?

Hi

Anyone recommend a good UPS for a PC Based CCTV system (GV1480)

Also; As these things use the COM port on the PC to send the signal from UPS to PC to switch off etc; what do you do if you are already using the COM port ??

Any comments appreciated

Regards Freeflyer

i posted a link to an APC unit somewere here recently .. also they come with USB cables.

I just bought an APC 900VA battery backup. Should be good for 20 min, I hope. I'll keep the LCD off of it though. I just want the PC to stay up for the time customers are still in my store and the time we can get them out.

What size does everyone typically use for a 16 ch. setup?

Hey Rory

Gatanga ma frend

I'm going to be putting two internal cams on this UPS unit as well, just in case the power goes down thanx to a clever burglar that wants to try it, was even considering a back up generator LOL

I guess you've figured I have enemies by now

yep, 16 cams, a DVR, and a Monitor ... 650VA is fine ..

Generator .. but ofcourse .. need them down here like you need a light switch ..

we going ta start selling a generator, UPS and Voltage Regulator with every job

Blimey Guv'nor

I have 2X EX80 (2AMPS each); 2X EX38 (2AMPS each); 2X EX14 (1AMP each); 1X EX35 (1AMP); 2X D/N Domes (.5AMPS each); 2X Baxall BW (1AMPS each) and three coverts at .5 each

Do you reckon I could power this lot with IR on from my APC unit then

regardz; Freeflyer Honest I'm no paraoid SChizoFrenick, did yoo spill ma pint LOL

sooner I get this sys up & running the better, some slimey Runt did my car last week, dent in the bonnet, dent in the wing and keyed every panel, fluckers, still if I had caught em i'd still be in the nick now for choppin the fluckers up & feeding them to the pigs... 3 grands worth of damage....

yeah well i was tlaking about normal cameras mate

But yeah we have 5 EX80's on one single 650VA APC UPS with AVR.

With 24VAC they top out at 1A at night.

that said i want to start selling a UPS that can get me 2 hours as thats the average time period the power goes off around here (every week)

though the chinese generators from jamaica they are starting to import will probably be just as cheap

Must drive ye barmy buddy

Out of interest, how would I go about fitting a generator that switches itself on when the UPS runs low? we've had plenty o thunderstorms this week and the power went down 5 times in the last 6 days, thanx to the global warming I guess??? right now it's hotta than a motha f*';@

We've got a webserver working with over 160 client websites running so I suppose I should be doing this anyway before soemone complains huh

#Last time I had anything imported from jamaica man i was as cool as a cucumber for a month LOL

Edited by Guest

i can ask the generator guy when they get back tomorrow .. myself i dont know anything about generators .. though off the top of my head i imagine you could use a relay from the PC somehow ..using the UPS software maybe when the battery gets to a point then it switches the generator over ..

but if you get an auto switch for the generator when the power goes off it will switch on by itself .. those switches arent that cheap though.

As is obvious by now, i'va a few quid stashed to do things properly so I am sure we could squeeze the old lemon a bit more for the right & best setup, let us know

FYI; we have just won an out of court settlement against a large multinational Security Co (with three letters in the name) after they came here and seriously mucked up, broke all regs known to man in the security & electrical industry and kindly had their staff damage this old house in too many ways to explain, NSI investigator said it was the worst he's seen in 20 years, oh & one of their staff helped themselves to something from our house.....nuff sed

It still took 4 1/2 years pursuing them and a lot of time, expense and stress to get to this outcome though

Lol .. they'd have a heart attack if they came down here and saw how things were done .. there are no enforced codes in the eletrical industry, and no code at all for the alarm industry here .. just plug and play Down here though the alarm guys dont touch high voltage, so we need to depend on the electricians in some cases .. and thats alot of fun .. cant say how many times ive been thrown from a ladder ..!

PS. i stopped doing attic work after 2 nails in the head ..

I guess you weren't getting ready for halloween then, eh?

last time I had a nail in my head was when I was running security for a large nightclub chain in the UK and some seriously tough party revellers were upset they were not admitted for being too far gone, turns out they was a rugby team of the buggers and they were "really" upset about it, what a night that was....

lawd ... yeah the nightclub here ... when the security get in a fight they just pull out a knife and stab them dead ..

Aint never been that easy here man, cams everywhere as well,

it was my job to recruit the door teams and the aim was to get gents in place of the "bouncer" types, high class chain of clubs this was with VIP clients, stars & footballers etc; every time we had an incident I had to fill out a bloody report form, find the video history and generally had a visit form both the street bobbies as well as the licensing police too, real bloody hassle it was; gave that game up years ago now, life's been a lot quieter since, got some blinding stories & memories about it though, and the amount of offers ya'll get in that game is astounding, never had a cold bed if I didn't want it

Got out the game after two guys had a bottle fight on a gay club night, blood everywhere & all that, the HIV think freaked the **** out of me so I hung up me bow tie - settled down & happily married with 2 beautiful kids now; peaceful life much better running tech business and a lot less hassle, just longer ours

yeah gotta be some life ...

at the club here to stay open the licence board make the owners pay the police to be there at the club as they carry guns .. real gangsta club .. theyve had shootings before there but that was before my time .. mostly just stabbings and other fights .. i saw one security stab a guy on video but the judge didnt buy it so he was let off .. even though it was clear as day and he even owned up to it and produced the bloody knife!

normally its the clients stabbing each other though .. or the security or police getting stabbed ...

yeh remember those days, still got the scars & dents

the only way you'd get away with that here is if you had the secret handshake mate & even then you'd be pushing it way too far trying to get off, with video evidence you'd be pretty stuck,

don't know of a country in the western world that put as many people in prison as ours, percentage wise I think we are the highest, unless of course you are a murderer or a peado or are just visiting the country as a refugee, then you can pretty much do what you like as I am sure you have gathered from our glorious press lately, no wonder vigilante groups are starting to take hold here, can't get a police response at the best of times....

Still ma shotguns always a back up if they come round ere, or they can have a double tap from the glock if they they wanna be fancy and come inside..rather just be submitting evidence from the Geo though, looking for a quiet life now - oh and lookin for the perfect beat..

laterz

yeah i heard things have changed since i was there last .. when i was there the UK was one of the safest countries Though yall still havent caught up the US and even "by population" the Bahamas has a higher crime rate than the US ..! (particularly though the main island where i live) Plus we dont have much enforced laws ... When yall have bars or security screens on all your windows and doors let me know .. then i gotta move my granny from there

at least we dont get terrorism down here though (yet) touch cocunut leaf ..

our courts have to catch up with the video and even just the PC world though ..we kind of behind ..