vf702

GV-Mini DVR System

Has anyone worked with the GV-MINI DVR System?http://www.geovision.com.tw/english/solution/GV-MiniDVR_Spec.htm

I'm looking for any feedback on those units versus self building compact units.

Hi VF702

Tried to get one of these in the UK and no one stocks or offers them (don't know why) I mailed 3 distributors about them and didn't get one reply, obviously don't want the business me finks, then I mailed sales @geo and they replied asking if I wanted to become a distributor, I only wanted one to test it out to see if it's as good as it looks? I'd consider becoming a distributor if no one else is going to over here, I'm very interested in finding the price point here in the UK, they seem ideal for my customers needs and would save us a lot of mucking about. Can Anyone advise?

The reason I was interested was the same as yours, that they were a ready built all in one solution without the usual range of issues concerning self build / setup / config / compatability etc been wanting this solution for a while, I say " title="Applause" /> to geo for doing it

I reckon they could take the CCTV world by storm if they are reliable and priced correctly, I 'm led to believe they are embedded XP (XPe) is this correct? I mean ready to go with Geo features versus a stand alone, couldn't really ask for a better solution myself; I'm definately interested in an update on how they perform, build quality etc. Anyone out there tried em let us know please!

Pity they dont do a 1480 version; I would order one right now if they did

Regards - Freeflyer

was looking at them myself .. next week may find out more ... i wonder if they are just too expensive which is why people arent carrying them?

Now that said .. if they have embedded XP i wont touch them, unless they send me a fully licenced copy of Embedded XP and a way to reload the OS ... or is it the same as regular XP as far as it being on the HDD? Havent had a chance to look into it in any depth right now .. but have to be able to reformat and reload windows ..

Rory

i read somewhere this week that XPe can be run off an embedded memory chip so that it stays in memory & doesn't need reinstalling, great idea...If this is the way they are using it though I guess..

its still windows though so still open to the same attacks and errors that regular windows is ...

Yeh agreed

naturally a decent Fwall is the answer, i see Asus are doing mainboards now with built in security features though, so I guess the industry is finally coming round at last; also as XPe is really cut down to the bare minimum, theres a lot less chance of having tools / services that are vulnerable to the usual attacks, less need to constantly update & all that too

I am sure MS offer XPe software with up to 900 components that you can add and remove as you need, be interested to know what Geo have included and also deliberatly left out for stability etc; I'll do some research on XPe this coming week & let you know what i find

Laterz

cool .. send me a free copy if yah get one .. one of those corporate issues though .. dont want that activation head ache

Yeah i did go on Ultra VNC once on an Embedded XP DVR and though it looked identical and had all the same stuff, it did have a few less services enabled .. but then again .. thats what we do with normal XP anyways .. but perhaps they leave out more services also .. better memory handling etc .. that was a while ago before I really got into XP so would like to jump on one now and see whats up ... hey .. wonder about the new windows .. if thats worth even looking at yet ?

Got a copy of PC Pro here sitting with a review on it, haven't looked at it yet, give you an update when I've had a chance to give it a look see mate

off to chill b4sleep now mate, wee ones will be up in 5 hours

laterz FF