Marmot789

reliability of outdoor PTZ cams

Hi, I'm looking for a little input on the longevity of typical PTZ cameras, Pelco's specifically. I know the elements are harsh but is 4 years typical or should they last longer. These are the older (legacy) style PTZ's and used in Minnesota (with somewhat harsh Winters). The 2nd Camera just went down in less than 2 months.

Can I expect MUCH more reliability out of the newer dome style PTZ's?

How do Pelco's and Panasonic's compare to other brands?

Thanks,

Marmot789

I have never worked with Pelco PTZs so I can't comment. When I worked security at Target I worked at several stores. I never had a problem with any of our outside PTZs which are Americann Dynamics/Sensormatic/Tyco. Our biggest problems were water spots in St. Paul, and condensation freezing and freezing rain in Duluth. Outdoor PTZs have heaters/coolers in them... I'd check to be sure those systems are functioning.

i use pelco spec iii all the time here in chicago and our winters can get bad as well.. 4-5yrs for some of the parts(motor) but the actual camera should last longer... the first thing that usually fails is the motor if its on a set tour 24/7 or moved around a lot... a lot of times the joystick controller fails before the camera does

The Pelco domes seem like they are built better than these older Legacy style cams. I think the Pelco's are built to withstand the elements a little better than the Panasonic. But at a 4-5 year lifespan (motor or anything else) anyway, I do also like the features on the Panasonic PTZ. I figure if I get at least 4 years out of it, it would be somewhat comparable to the Pelco. I guess I'm just trying to rationalize buying the Panasonic.

know anything about the Panasonic WV-CW964?