18pcs

System building frustation

I have patiently over the last so many months tried to build a system using a Kalatel DVRme as the base. I bought a Cyberdome and after unrelentless efforts at programming have come to the conclusion that it is defective. I cannot afford a new Cyberdome as have spent a lot of money on these cameras and had even tried to buy two more on ebay and lost money as the guy didnt ship the cameras and disappeared.

There is no way I can get the camera repaired in Poland and the only solution is to look for cheaper alternatives. In the mad rush to get the Cyberdome working I even went and bought a KTD 405 and the I/O box and adapters, etc etc. So basically a lot of money spent.

Can someone please suggest what other brand PTZ camera can be used with a GE system ? If no other cameras work as well as Cyberdomes then I may as well foget about a PTZ and restrict the system to normal cameras. all help and suggestions highly highly welcomed, thanks in advance. If someone has any GE cameras for sale, please let me know.

I know you probably know this by now but for future people

DONT BUY FROM EBAY!

Number 2

get a panasonic ptz. Excellent domes. Buy it from a dealer of panasonic. Not ebay. So in the instance it does not work you can take it back.

Sorry to hear about your frustration

Your going to have even more fun trying to get the Panasonic Working with the GE .. but it will .. the GE PTZ should just be plug and play, as it is with the GeoVision PC DVR .. once the adaptors (probridge etc) are purchased.

Did you ever contact GE tech support?

Also, list again all the parts you have now.

Thanks

Rory

Thanks jisaacmagee and rory for your replies. This si the first time I have been cheated on ebay having dealt on it for a longtime. You meet all kinds of people everywhere and this has taught me a lesson to be more careful now though an expensive lesson .

To answer Rory's question I have the Kalatel Dvrme 320, several cheap cameras which are working fine and one CyberDome which refuses to acknolwedge it is connected to the system and keeps turning left and right regardless of what program is fed to it through the joypad KTD 405 which is wired through a Kalatel I/O box. The Cyberdome has not yet been fixed in its destined place but I am trying to first check if it works by plugging in all the wires before installation. Do you think that would make a difference as it is at the moment connected by all wires but lying on a table ? I have tried programming it in Digiplex mode and the other mode. Tried several different addresses, tried to reset the camera through the keypad but it just doesnt acknowledge the commands.

I have contacted GE support here but sorry to say they are a bunch of idiots who keep sending me instruction manuals and who do not have any technical or practical experience.

Is the Dome standing upright (like as if it were on the wall)? If not it wont work generally.

When it wouldnt accept the commands lying down , we held it upright and tried but it didnt work too. DO you think I should fix it to the wall and try.

Definately, and power it on and off before you try again . ..

I had the same issue with the Legend Dome a couple weeks ago.

Dont know, ive never actually used it like that ... ive used it with the Geo PC DVRs ...

Did it ever work when connected direct to the keyboard?

Ill have to look through the install manual here to refresh ..

You will want Zone Mode ...

BTW, You dont even have to program anything for it just to work ..

Do you have the IO box hooked up correct?

What cable are you using for the data?

Edited by Guest

The thing is that even when I connect the camera directly without the Keypad and I/O box the head keeps moving and goes into a kind of a tour all over the place. The picture is visible and the camera keeps zooming and doing everthing except coming to a halt.

This behavior is identical when it is connected to the i/O box and keypad. It acts as if nothing has been connected to it and nothing is regulating it. The only mistake I can see is that it was always lying down and we have tried holding it uproight but that too without turning the power on and off. SO I will mount the camera on a wall tomorrow and retry. If it just stops the tour and waits for further commands would be a good indication.

Ok yeah, with the Legend, same thing, I had it on its side ... when i turned it on, it started doing something but not much, it would go side to side, back and forth, but the thing is, it could not complete its full start up test.

I always had the CyberDomes mounted when i messed with them, so never saw that issue before.

But when i Wall Mounted this Legend, just temporary ofcourse, and then tried it again ... still did the same thing ... Whoops ...i hadnt powered it off yet ... i then powered it down and back on again ... Bang .. it worked! (flawlesly)

Anyway, seems the motors have issues being not mounted upright, or actually upside down for us. Seems it needs the Test to complete, and until the Dome performs its test, it wont work. At least with the Legend, so perhaps the same with the CyberDome. ..

Do this .. Once it is mounted on a wall, wood or whatever, once the motor is in place as it should be ... make sure it is disconnected from everything, but a monitor .. Then power it up fresh .. see if it goes through its check .. it should go through a couple left right turns, then zoom in and out (or vice versa) then it will stop sought of pointed downward. If it doesnt turn left and right and zoom in and out, then the camera has a problem.

If it does the test fine, then power it down again and connect only the IO box and the Keypad ... let us know what happens.

Rory

Today mounted the camera on a wall and tried, but with the same result. I called GE here and they asked me to bring the camera over. Went to them and they took out the camera module from a working Dome and replaced it with mine. Same result. The camera was uncontrollable. The problem is I cannot call the programming menu on the screen whereby I would be able to reset the camera. Is it possible to get Kalatel Domes repaired in the US and would you know someone. Would appreciate a PM if you do, thanks.

did they leave you with the working module ..?

How is the data cable connected to the keypad ..?

What cable is used?

Did you try it with just the monitor, keypad, and PTZ?

I wish they had left me with the working module. The man just took out the camera from his existing working setup and replaced it with my camera. The wires etc were all as recommended by GE as this was the GE, Poland office and this was a working camera.