indigoallan

Geovision Problem - PTZ/Video Lost

Hi,

I have just upgraded to Geovision 7.05 with the USB dongle and software wise things are running okay. I upgraded cameras to 2 PTZ230 Sony cameras with presets and 1 PTZ 100 Sony cam without plus 1 normal dome.

Problem is that the 2 PTZ230 cams do not appear on geovision together! One is okay and the other is video lost. I have triple checked the wiring and used a normal dome which displays. The addresses of the PTZ cameras are 0 (PTZ100) plus 2 and 3 I think it is. Got a problem with the PTZ100 and PTZ230 turning at same time despite different addresses but I'll work on that tomorrow!

My main issue I need help with is the video lost on the PTZ230 cams. They work independently but together only 1 does. They both have different addresses but do not want to sit on the same card.

Settings are at Pelco D and both have been set to this protocol. There is a termination switch but I have tried flicking this but nothing seems to work (not sure what termination is for if i'm honest) . Had a thought that might need master/slave thing like 2nd hard disc on a pc but I'm totally stumped now.

Anyone any ideas?

Hi, Video loss wont have anything to do with the Camera Address settings, you should still get video from the camera even if you cant control it. Did you check to make sure it is still enabled in the Geo "Camera Enable" Section?

cheked yourt ptz settings go to each camera and make note of address settings, remove one camera and setup one then add the 2nd, take it slow and think about it, you will find the problem.....

It wont be showing "video loss" if its not enabled in "camera enable" section, just a blank screen,

Set them as address 1, 2, 3, at the camera end you have something doubled up for them both to move when controlling one camera,

Click on the PTZ enable for each camera (one by one) and confirm they have dif settings,

When you loaded v7.05 and enabled the dongle did you alter any settings??

I think this is where your going wrong... check your connections also may have bumped something and plug the cam thats not displaying into a working input on the geo octopus cable.....

let us know how you went,

Hi guys thanks for all the info!

The camera is enabled I think. All four tick boxes are operating and the really frustrating thing is that if the PTZ camera is taken off and a normal dome is plugged in, it works fine!!!

I don't think it's anything to do with RS-485 wiring cause I removed the wiring temporarily to get video only but still nothing. If I chnage camera to alternative channel on Geo card, the video lost follows it! I have removed the camera and brought it directly to the PC and connected it without the actual wiring running to it, but this still has no effect.

The USB dongle drivers were installed off the Geo card, but I remember reading something about checking device manager to see it listed - would this cause this problem if not installed properly? I remember trying to upgrade to version 7 before without the dongle and it wouldn't even let me launch the software. That was about 6 months ago, I did a roll back using system restore in windows and have been working with the system fine for 6 months

Does the PTZ Video work plugged into a CCTV monitor or TV?

The only thing i can think to give video loss, is that it is enabled, but there is no video .. and if the camera has power, and you may get some video on a CCTV Monitor or TV, means there is very little signal coming out .. maybe check the video connection to the dome and the BNC's ..

Anyway, make sure there is video coming from the Dome first .. just to be sure ...

The camera is enabled I think.

Dood not to be rude, but DONT think, actually check it, you can work this out yourself if you check everything one by one,

also you will need to install the dongle drivers for UG to v7, you can check in dmanager to see if it exists and is loaded.

Right! Got the bottom of the main problem. Basically, as this was an upgrade of an existing system, the cameras were powered into the old 12volt power supplies.

Fortunately before I had changed it one of the supplies had broken and was replaced with another 12volt supply. The first PTZ was connected to this one (which was 1.25Amp) and the other was to a 500ma supply! Its not powerful enough just to use 500ma supplies!

Only problem I have remaining is the addresses all moving on 0, despite being set at different addresses on the cameras and not moving using Geovision when the addresses are set using the software to match the hardware settings. I suspect that I may have wired the PTZ wires incorrectly? I have a wire running from the Geovision RS485 card to a terminal block and a seperate wire running to each camera pretty much like various branches running off a tree - should it be looped from camera to camera with the last one terminated? I am only suggesting this as some cameras have a termination switch and I dunno what this is for!

Thanks again for all your help and hope you can put me right on this last bit!

Cheers guys

The end of each "loop" needs to be terminated at the last PTZ by use of the termination jumper. You can "daisy chain" them as you mentioned by going from one to another, on and on. Or you can do what you have done, and have the signal loops branch out from a single source. Just be sure the junction is good so the signal hits all the branches, and be sure each branch/loop is terminated at the final PTZ. More elaborate systems such as those using matrix controllers, least for American Dynamics, will use a dedicated junction box, so the commands come over one data line to a junction box somewhere else on site, then this junction box will send branches/loops (power and data) out to PTZs in it's area.

ok cool. Each PTZ branch only goes to one camera. There are three on the system plus one fixed camera. Two have termination switches, one PTZ does not, although this may be hidden inside with an address selector

None are switched on at the moment - do you suggest I do this?

Thanks

If each branch only goes to one PTZ, then select the "terminated" setting on the PTZ. If you can't find a termination switch, google the PTZ manual to find out how.

Got it working! Changed the terminal block to a bigger one to ensure all branches were connected properly, terminated the PTZ cameras and setup PTZ Camera Mapping in Geovision.

Only one problem but it was overcome was the actual addresses in Geovision start at 0 which is actually address 1, 1 being 2, etc but now no problems

THANKS VERY MUCH GUYS