RichTJ99

Hidden microphone? Baby Cam

Hi,

I was curious, my DVR card has an audio port. I would like to get a "hidden" type of mic for the system. I was thinking maybe a smoke detector mic.

I see lots of camera discussion but not really much microphone talk. Is there a good recommendation for a mic?

I want to add sound to the baby monitoring setup.

Thanks,

Rich

Rory,

Do you know if the output from the Verifact series microphones is compatible with the Geovision audio inputs? I see it says that it works with a "Louroe" base station.

I like the idea of it looking like a closed off wall plate. Granted, I am using it indoors, but I guess I could paint it though.

Thanks,

Rich

You dont need a base station, you can just tie it into an RCA cable ... power them off their own 12VDC supply also or use a power panel ..ive tied a few of them together in the past with the Kalatel DVRs which only had 1 audio input ... wit Geo though you can have multiple ones ...

Great! That sounds like its right up my alley. The wording didnt make it seem like it had a RCA/Composite input. Did you just put a RCA end on the cable?

Thanks!

Rich

yeah the mic just has 3 screw terminals, use 3 conductor (or just 2 pairs) telco wire .. one is ground for power and audio, other is power, and the other is audio ... you can make up your own RCA .. just cut up some RCA cables .. if you want to make it neat and its alot of mics ... join them in a panel with some terminal strips, or even some heat shrink tube .. otherwise i juz tape them

Rory

Whow! I can just use regular telephone cable to run the wiring? That is sweet! I actually have a ton of Cat 5E sitting around here so I might use that just for ease of usage.

So, there are three terminals, one power (goes to my 12v DC power rack), one ground, and then one other wire for the mic?

How do you work that, just splice an RCA connector at the Geovision server into the 1 wire from the cat5 or the telephone cable?

This sounds very very interesting!

Yes, its been a while so cant remember 100%, either you need to splice the ground together or not .. just need a simple RCA cable though ... solid is the audio from the mic ... you may or may not need the ground connected ..

Rory,

Could I use Cat5 for the wiring? Would that be safe? I am sure the mic doesnt draw much power but I want to be sure.

I know people use cat5 for wiring cameras so I would think it would be OK

Thanks,

Rich