tomk

I think this is going to make a lot of you guys cringe

I bought four used Ikegami 1/3 b&w cameras model # ICD-33 ($4), four 25 foot rg-59 siamese cable and the $29.99 pico2000 dvr card from Hong Kong all off eBay. My total cost way under $100. everything worked perfectly on a 1.5 gig computer and a 24v transformer until I bought my first 150 foot rg-59 Siamese cable off eBay. We have a radio tower 300 feet from the house and I had to run the cable two feet from a power supply lines to our small neighborhood this is not high voltage the transformer is on the street. I screwed a metal mounting bracket into the wood structure mounted the camera and got a picture that has about forty vertical snowy lines that lean to the left then straighten up then lean to the right. It gets worse when I get the second 150 foot cable in the mail and string it out on the deck not near the power lines and the picture is much clearer but the refresh rate is every thirty seconds whenever this camera is running.

Questions:

1. What type of cable should I use?

2. Whats causing the snowy lines?

3. Why would my pictures jump?

4. Why is the refresh rate so slow with the new cable?

This is your first issue ..

pico2000 dvr card

It uses the first generation of software from Nova out of Canada, basically its really old software. Well actually its a leaked out version of the software as far as I know, when they were developing it back then. Apparently the newer versions are better, though more expensive.

Someone recently gave me one of these cards to test, i did, then i laughed, and then chucked it in the garbage ...

For just a few more dollars you can get the GV250

Now onto the questions:

If they are cheap bullet cameras then any all in one RCA Video Power cable will suffice. Otherwise, use RG59 Siamese Copper in and out.

Sounds like the Power Lines are too close ..

Power Lines again .. or bad cable connections, or DVR issue ...

Was it always this slow? Did it get slow after adding another camera? If so this is normal, the total fps beng 30fps ... divide that between 2 cameras, 15fps, but divide by 4 cameras, 7.5fps each.

Have you tested the cameras on a CCTV Monitor? (or even a TV)

Make sure you are getting a good signal from the cameras before you plug them into the "DVR" ..

Rory

pico2000 dvr card

Someone recently gave me one of these cards to test, i did, then i laughed, and then chucked it in the garbage ...

For just a few more dollars you can get the GV250

-I'll look for one. how will this help?

Now onto the questions:

If they are cheap bullet cameras then any all in one RCA Video Power cable will suffice. Otherwise, use RG59 Siamese Copper in and out.

-they are not cheep bullet cams. I am using RG59. Is all rg59 the same?

Sounds like the Power Lines are too close ..

-Can I shield the lines? How? I don't have many routing options?

Power Lines again .. or bad cable connections, or DVR issue ...

-I have a feeling Its the DVR this time.

Was it always this slow? Did it get slow after adding another camera? If so this is normal, the total fps beng 30fps ... divide that between 2 cameras, 15fps, but divide by 4 cameras, 7.5fps each.

-No, the slow down or really stop only happens with the 150' cable it runs fine with four cameras and 25' cables. it has something to do with the 150' rg59. could someone sell me two good 150' siamese cables?

Have you tested the cameras on a CCTV Monitor? (or even a TV)

Make sure you are getting a good signal from the cameras before you plug them into the "DVR" ..

-I should have thought of this. I'll try. Rory, Thanks for the quick response. anyone have a link to a cctv troubleshooting site with screen shots?