Sign in to follow this  
Sawbones

Mobotix Move line

Let me throw a scenario at you fine gentlemen.

I'm a long-time user/fan of Mobotix cameras, and I've deployed them for years.  I've done residential installs, but most have been used in remote installs, where they are subjected to nasty environmental conditions, low-bandwidth connections, and run on solar power (the low power-consumption is major plus in a solar installation, where every watt is precious).   They're the closest thing to immortality I've encountered in a security camera... they almost never die... like the old Timex commercial said, they "take a lickin', and keep on tickin'"

I can't say the same for some Chinese cameras I could list... which might be popular, but have a much higher failure rate. 

I just acquired a vacation place, which is on-grid, and power consumption isn't an issue.  There is an existing hard-wired IP-based CCTV system installed on the property, in the form of a generic WESECUU system (they're on Amazon and various other places, and are a nightmare from a network-security standpoint, since they require cloud access for notifications, and  attempt to "phone home" to China, even when that feature is turned-off). 

I've recently been looking at the Mobotix MOVE line of cameras, but have no experience with this newer line.  They are more economical than the regular Mobotix stuff, particularly at retail prices (where Mobotix loses out heavily when weighed against the many cheaper offerings on the market, which may lack the unique features Mobotix includes, but often have video as good as Mobotix, or better). 

I've acquired a MOVE bullet camera to test, and the video quality is quite good, particularly at night.  It has SD-card storage, but also includes a bunch of extra I/O connections, which were a pleasant surprise...  no EXT-IO expansion modules needed.  I'm only planning on doing event recording, remote viewing, and emailed alarm images based on hard-wired sensor triggers... all of which this camera would seem to do out-of-the-box. 

The MOVE literature seems to indicate that a central controller is required. 

Please note: MOBOTIX MOVE cameras are centralized video systems in ONVIF S/G format with H.264 and typically require additi-onal centralized data storage (NAS) and a video management system that supports the ONVIF standard

And yet as I look through the web interface on this camera, it seems like it will do everything I need without that central infrastructure. 

Somebody help me out here... am I missing something? 

I'm also open to suggestions on what other hardware/products I should be considering.  I'm a Mobotix fan, but I'm open to other brands, and I'm not against installing a heterogenous system if something else would work just as well.  I have enough of a NETSEC background that I would like to avoid ChiCom stuff. 

Hit me.